This is an Instant History of Liancourt Rocks (Takeshima/Dokdo) for beginners.
Liancourt Rocks (Takeshima/Dokdo) had been called as "Matsushima" for a long time since the 17th century. Ulleungdo was called as "Takeshima" or "Isotakeshima".
But confusion occured in the late 18th century to early 19th century when western maps depicted two islands in the Sea of Japan, Argonaut island (phantom island of Ulleungdo) and Dagelet island (true Ulleungdo). They thought Argonaut was Takeshima and Dagelet was Matsushima. Then confusion began. In this point, Matsushima meant Dagelet, that is Ulleungdo.
After the western countries discovered Liancourt Rocks (Hornet Rocks in
So Japanese had names for Liancourt Rocks for 300 years (Matsushima, Ryankorudo-iwa or Ryanko island or Yanko island) and finally in 1905 it was re-named as "Takeshima" and incorporated into Shimane prefecture because the name of Takeshima, which was originally the name for Ulleungdo, disappeared with the phantom
“Dokdo had several names such as Usando, Sambongdo and Seokdo (1900)”
a) Was Usando Liancourt Rocks?
They insisted that
As to the old documents concerning Usando in
Also please look at some Korean maps – Usando doesn’t look like Liancourt Rocks.
b) Was Sambongdo Liancourt Rocks?
Please read the following. It is clear that Sambongdo was Ulleungdo, not Liancourt Rocks.
c) Was Seokdo Liancourt Rocks?
Seokdo (石島) was the name in the 1900 Imperial Edict:
It says that 欝島全島 (all the Ulleungdo) and 竹島石島 (Jukdo-Seokdo) belong to Uldo County. Jukdo (竹島) is a small island beside Ulleungdo. Pro-Korean scholars believe Seokdo (石島) should be Dokdo because its pronunciation is similar to Dokdo in a dialect of some districts.
But in 1900, Korean people didn’t use the word “Dokdo”. They used Yanko or Ryanko island as Japanese fishermen used to call Liancourt Rocks in Japanese way. So it is hard to believe this kind of theory, which was just an imagination not based on facts.
Looking around the circumstances of these islands before the year 1900, various geographic books excluded Liancourt Rocks from Korean territory. Korean eastern limit was Ulleungdo.
And the western maps excluded Liancourt Rocks from Korean territory (almost all of these maps indicated that it belonged to
1891 & 1894 (American map):
1891 (American map):
1891-1899 (German, British and American maps):
1892 (German map):
1894 (German map):
1894 (British map):
1894 (British map):
1897 (American map):
1897 (German map):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So Seokdo in the 1900 Imperial Edict was highly unlikely Liancourt Rocks.
As a result, there was no name for
Pro-Korean scholars insist that
a) Pro-Korean scholars used to say
The Meiji government investigated Ulleungdo to resolve the name confusion and found the truth in 1880:
b) Pro-Korean people used to show the map 新撰朝鮮国全図 to insist that Japan admitted Liancourt Rocks to be Korean territory. But it is not true. Please read the following articles:
This is just a beginning course. If you are interested, please read all the articles in this blog by yourself. I hope you will find the truth.