2010 - Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University admits Usando in Choson's official map of Ulleungdo(鬱陵島圖形) in 1711 is Jukdo, not Dokdo/Takeshima.

Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University admits Usando in Choson's official map of Ulleungdo(鬱陵島圖形) in 1711 is Jukdo, not Dokdo/Takeshima.

Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University(嶺南大学独島研究所) practically admitted Usando, which South Korean government has been claiming as Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks/Dokdo's old name since 1953, described in the detailed map of Ulleungdo "鬱陵島圖形", made and submitted to the King by official inspector Bak Seok-chang (朴錫昌) to Ulleungdo in 1711, was not Dokdo, but Ulleungdo's biggest neighbouring island Jukdo(竹島), which is 2-4km east to Ulleungdo in recent book. Prof. Kim Hwa-Kyung(金和経), the head of the Institute, wrote as below in their recent published book "Study for the establishment of Sovereignty over Dokdo"(독도 영유권확립을 위한 연구) (2010).

On the east side, to the the lower in this map by the way, there is writing "(there is) long groves of bamboos alongside the coast, so-called Usando"(海長竹田 所謂于山島). Seoul Nat'l University's Kyujanggak Institute of Korean Studies, that stores the map, explains that "the island which is written Usando on it seems to be Dokdo". However, it is clear that this explanation doesn't severely examine the map material. Because, it is natural to consider the island to be Jukdo(竹島) of today if there was bamboo grove long in the coast on the island. In fact, Oh Sang-Hak(呉尚學) wrote "the island is presumed to be Jukdo, which locates 4km from main island of Ulleungdo, considering from the location and the annotation "(there is) long fields of bamboos on the coast, so-called Usando. since Jukdo is the only island among the neibouring island of Ulleungdo on which the bamboo grove can long grow along the coast." (p25)
ところでこの地図には下段にあたる東側に、「海長竹田 所謂于山島」すなわち「海岸に長く竹薮がある いわゆる于山島」という書き込みがある。これを所蔵しているソウル大学奎章閣の解説には「ここで于山島と記入してある島が、まさに独島を指称しているようである」と書かれている。しかし、この解説は地図資料を厳格に検討していないことは明らかだ。なぜならば、海岸に長く竹薮があったと言えば、その島は独島ではなく、今日の竹島(竹嶼)を指したと見ることは当然であるからだ。 実際、呉尚學は「この島は、描かれた位置と『海岸に長く竹田がある』という註記から見て、鬱陵島本島から4Kmほど離れた竹島(竹嶼)と推定される。鬱陵島の付属島嶼として竹田が長く形成されることができる島は、竹島(竹嶼)以外にはないためだ」といい、この島を竹島(竹嶼)と見た。

As Prof. Kim quoted in the article, Prof. Oh Sang-Hak(呉尚學), whose expertise is Historical Geography had already admitted this in his article "The Change in Perception of Ulleungdo and Dokdo Represented in Maps of the Joseon Dynasty"(2006)". It was slightly before Gerry's pointed out that Usando in 1711 map is Jukdo since "Haejangjuk"(海長竹) is a kind of bamboo that cannot grow on Takeshima in the Japanese Newspaper San-in Shimpo on February 2007.

One of the maps, which is undated, shows a small island east of Ulleungdo with the following written on it: “The so-called Usando, fields of Haejangjuk.” It is pointed out that Haejangjuk is a kind of bamboo that cannot grow on Takeshima, which is essentially just a cluster of rocks where bamboo does not grow.

Prof. Kim and Oh are not the only one who admitted Usando in the maps is Jukdo. In fact, Dokdo Museum Head also Admits Maps Show “Jukdo, not Dokdo” on March 20th, 2007.

Dokdo Museum Director Lee Seung-jin said, “After confirming the three old maps, it is obvious to anyone that they showed Jukdo, not Dokdo; and even in our country’s academic circles, it is judged to be Jukdo. By not showing the complete map and by showing only an enlarged section, they are trying to cover up their forced claims.”

Korea’s Northeast Asia History Foundation rebutted to Gerry as well, while their argument was quite misdirected.

The part that says, “The so-called Usando” is just written on the outline of an island, similar to four islands to the south, which is different from islets like Samseon Rocks and Elephant Rock on the north side of the island. Actually, there are no islands to the south of Ulleungdo. It is assumed that the map was not made from an actual survey, but was made based on hearsay. Concerning “haejangjukjeon, the so-called Usando,” it is believed that the inspector did not conduct a “concrete” investigation, but just followed the coastline and drew Jukdo (Bamboo Island), with its tall bamboo, and Usando (Dokdo), which was determined clearly at that time by the activities of An Yong-bok.

If their explanation is true, then the map is rather the concrete evidence that official inspector of Joseon Dynasty who actually conducted the on the spot survey identified the shapes and location of Japan's Matsushima= U(J)asando by Ahn Yong-bok according to what people say and clearly recorded that Usando is not today's Takeshima/Dokdo, but Jukdo. Because Ahn Yong-bok testified that it took less than few hours for him to move from Ulleundo to Jasando, at dawn on 15th of May. Besides, Ahn said he "pulled the boat into Usando(拕舟入子山島)". It is natural for the inspector who went to Ulleugndo and saw Jukdo to identify it as so-called Usando. Whatever the island Ahn had witnessed was, it is apparent that both Joseon Dynasty and scholars out of office
considered the island was Jukdo. Scholars out of office including Chŏng Sang-gi (鄭尚驥) who made "東国地図" and others who made the copies and Prof. Oh presume Chong put Usando east to Ulleungdo, namely the "exact" place of today's Dokdo according to Ahn's story, without any concrete evidence. But it is quite obvious as Chong and its follower's Usando is placed right next to Ulleungdo and it never go beyond the scope of the place of Jukdo, the Ulleungdo's neighbouring island of 4km east, which exactly matched with Ahn's testimony again.

And finally, Prof. SONG Byeong-Gi(宋 炳基) seems to be cornered and also gave up cheating people, and finally admitted that Usando in this 1711 official map is not Dokdo, but Jukdo in his revised book "Ulleungdo and Dokdo"(재정판 울릉도와 독도)(2007) . (Japanese translation by Mr. 朴 炳渉, a.k.a. Half-moon.)

By the way,
Korean academics mistranslated haejangjuk(海長竹田). "海長竹田" is not "long groves of bamboos alongside the coast" nor just a “grove of tall bamboo along the coastline", but is groves of "海長竹", a unique kind of bamboo. Japanese called it as 女竹. Japanese "Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Trade, Document Section: Trade Documents" (外務省通商局編纂 通商彙纂) recorded that 女竹 grow on Jukdo in 1902.

The inspector's map of Ulleungdo is Joseon's official maps and are the basis of other maps made thereafter.

The map is one of the 6 Ulleungdo maps extant made by official investigators to Ulleungdo. The official maps of Ulleungdo as a result of regular inspection are extremely important in the history of Korea's geography since this is produced by officials and were positively used to produce the county prefecture map(郡県地図) of a nationwide thereafter such as "海東地図", "廣輿図". "朝鮮地図". And it is succeeded to the large reduced scale complete map produced in the 19th century thereafter.

Seoul Nat'l University's Kyujanggak Institute of Korean Studies, who even strangely write Usando in this map is definately Dokdo, admits Usandos in some of the Ulleungdo maps "may be" Jukdo, not Dokdo on its website.

지승(地乘)〈奎 15423〉
Among 6 islets depicted, there is the writing "
so-called Usando" on the islet located east side. The name "Usando" is normally considered to be the Dokdo, which locates in East Sea, however, recently, the claim that it is Ulleungdo's neighbouring island Jukdo was instituted. (Kim Ki-Hyuk)
6곳의 도서가 묘사되어 있고 이중 동쪽에 배치된 섬에는 ‘所謂于山島’라는 기록이 있다. 于山島 지명은 동해상의 獨島를 지칭한다는 것이 통설로 되어 있었으나 최근 울릉도 부속도서인 竹島라는 주장이 제기되었다. ...
6ヶ所の島嶼が描写されていて、この中で東側に配置された島には‘所謂于山島’という記録がある。 于山島という地名は東海上の独島を指し示すということが通説になっていたが、最近、鬱陵島附属島嶼の竹島(訳注 : 日本名竹嶼、以下同じ)という主張が提起された。) (キム・キヒョク)

(奎16030) (1750-1768)
However, there is fairly large island Jukdo on the east side of Ulleungdo, and Usan(do) depicted right side of the map is considered to be it(Jukdo). (Lee Ki-bong)
다만 울릉도 동쪽에 현재 죽도(댓섬)라는 제법 큰 섬이 있는데, 지도 오른쪽의 于山(島)이 그것을 가리키는 것이 아닌가 생각된다.(이기봉)

〈古 4709-68〉
A variety people consider Usando on the right side of the map is today's Dokdo, but it is not clear. Since it is possible that it indicates the biggest island of Kwannundo or Jukdo among the tiny islates around main island of Ulleungdo. (Lee Ki-bong)
오른쪽에 있는 于山島는 여러 사람에 의해 현재의 獨島로 인식되기도 하지만 분명하지는 않다. 울릉도 본 섬 주위에 있는 작은 섬 중 가장 큰 관음도나 죽도를 가리킬 수도 있기 때문이다....(이기봉) 
右側にある于山島は色々な人によって現在の独島と認識されるけれども明らかではない。 鬱陵島本島の周囲にある小さい島の中で最も大きい観音島や竹島(チュクト/日本名竹嶼)を指している可能性もあるためだ。... (イ・ギボン)

지승(地乘)〈奎 15423〉조선지도(奎16030) 朝鮮地圖(1750-1768)여지도(輿地圖)〈古 4709-68〉

Korea's claim that Usando in Korea's old maps are today's Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks/Dokdo is fake.

As have been shown, Korean scholars gradually started to admit Usando in
"The map of Ulleungdo" (鬱陵島圖形)(1711) and other Korea's old maps, especially after 18c are Jukdo, not Dokdo, while Korean government still keep claiming Usando had been Dokdo since 512 in its propaganda and reject Japan's proposal to bring the issue to the International Court of Justice.

I honestly hope Korean government, academics, media & journalists, singer Kim someone, VANKers, netizens and some permanent residents in Japan accept this eternal fact that Korean had never considered Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks was their territory before 1905. Usando after 1711 official map of Ulleungdo were Jukdo and they should stop absurd claim such as Usando is Takeshima's old names from 512.

References ;
Interview with Sankei Shimbun Reporter on Dokdo/Takeshima
: Sunday, April 22nd, 2007

Dokdo Museum Head Admits Maps Show “Jukdo, not Dokdo” : Tuesday, March 20th, 2007

New Article on Usando & “Haejang” Bamboo : Tuesday, March 13th, 2007

The other article about Gerry in the San-In Chuo Shinpou : Tuesday, February 27th, 2007

Korean History Group Responds to Japanese Article on Usando : Saturday, February 24th, 2007

New Takeshima (Dokdo) Article in Japanese Newspaper : Wednesday, February 21st, 2007

Korean Scholar Says "Usando" Was Ulleungdo's "Jukdo"

Ulleungdo's Neighboring Island of Jukdo (죽도 - 竹島)

1696 - Ahn's so-called Matsushima/Usando was Jukdo, afterall. 
(元禄九丙子年朝鮮舟着岸一巻之覚書 肅宗実録 30卷, 22年 戊寅)


The 26th column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)”

Below is a translation of The 26th column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)” by Prof. Shimojo Masao
"East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps " hosted by the Northeast Asian History Foundation

The exhibition "East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps " was held by the Northeast Asian History Foundation, that is research laboratories of the South Korea government, from this March 2 to the 9th at the the second floor of National Diet Library in South Korea. However, it made me feel that I was deceived by the extravagant advertisement, since there were only photographed panels in the hall not originals. According to the brochure distributed in the hall and the explanation of the hall, it seems they wanted to claim as follows.

"Regarding the name "East Sea", it is notable that certain old maps printed in European countries such as Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom had used the name even before it was marked as such in the due sea area on some Korean maps for the meaning of "an east side of Eurasia" at that time."

As for Takeshima, they also claim that "In the past, Korean called "Dokdo" as Usando, Sambongdo, Gajido or Seokdo", and " on those European old maps, Dokdo is referred to as 'Tchian-chan-tao', 'Liancourt Rocks', 'Hornet Rocks', 'Menelai' or 'Olivutsa'." They also seem to further claim that the label "East Sea" is correct for the Sea of Japan and Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks/Dokdo has historically been Korea's.

However, again, there was no grounds of Korea's claim to show why Takeshima is Korea's and Japan Sea should be called East Sea. Though the brochure says that "the name "East Sea" was marked as East Sea in the due sea area", throughout the Joseon Dynasty, the area of East Sea which corresponds to indicates Yellow Sea(黄海), Bohai Sea(渤海) or the eastern seaboard of the Joseon peninsula and those areas don't overlap the area of the "Sea of Japan". How does the Northeast Asian History Foundation" who sponsored this exhibition take this fact?

Their understanding of East Sea can be inferred from the explanation in the brochure, since they interpret the "Map of the Eight Provinces" (八道總圖 - 팔도총도) from "Sinjeung Dongguk Yeoji Seungram" (新增東國輿地勝覽 - 신증동국여지승람) as follows.

"Map of the Eight Provinces" is the complete map of Joseon which is collected first in the "Sinjeung Dongguk Yeoji Seungram". It only recorded simple information that everyone know, such as prominent mountains, rivers, islands and seas, in order to prevent the top secret of the state."

However, this explanation of "Map of the Eight Provinces" is only an arbitrary interpretation that neglects the document criticism. The postspcript of the map says "The complete map is a record for the ritual of worship(祀典)", meaning that the objects that the nation enshrines as spirits/gods of the nature are depicted in "Map of the Eight Provinces". Which means that the "East Sea" in not the label for the name of the sea, but for the places where the shrines of gods/spirits of the sea-waves along the eastern seaboards of Choson peninsula.

In fact, "The map of Kanwondo" from the same "Sinjeung Dongguk Yeoji Seungram" etc. labels the ocean as "東抵大海" (to the East, it reaches to the ocean) and "東北抵大海" (to the Northeast, it reaches to the ocean), making it clear that they are not coastal part, but the open seas far from the land. In short, the majority of the Sea of Japan area was recognized as "大海"(ocean), not "東海(East Sea)" in those old Korean maps.

Moreover, the "East Sea"(東海) defined in the worship(祀典) can be also confirmed in the "Samguk Sagi"'s Monographs part (三国史記 雑志) that was compiled in Goryeo era. And it indicates the coast part of the Korean peninsula's east shore throughout the age of Silla, Goryeo and Joseon. Against this historical fact, Korea's Northeast History Foundation misread the Chinese character "東海", replacing with "日本海"(the Sea of Japan) in the modernistic way of thinking, and falsely claimed that "東海" in the maps are the historical evidence to show ancient Korean called the Sea of Japan as East Sea. However, it was after modern ages that the name's of the Sea of Japan as East Sea became general, and East Sea until a Joseon age indicated the coast part of the Korean peninsula east shore, Yellow Sea and Pohai.

The similar example of their stretching interpretation "East Sea" far to the Sea of Japan can be seen in their explanation of "A Map of Marco Polo's Voyages" as well. The map was produced by British Emanuel Bowen in 1744 and it labeled the area as "EASTAN SEA" on the are of the Sea of Japan. They explained it is the evidence that western society called the Sea of Japan as East Sea in the brochure. However, as was explained, Korea's "East Sea" indicated the coastal part of Korean peninsula's eastern part, and it doesn't overlap with "EASTAN SEA" that corresponds to the Sea of Japan. And yet from the point that "EASTAN SEA" actually is written in "A Map of Marco Polo's Voyages", it should be translated rather as "Eastern Sea" or "Sea in the East" to follow the Marco Polo's "The Book of Marco Polo" which is nicknamed as " Oriente Poliano". But they explain it as "regarding the name "East Sea", it is notable that certain old maps printed in European countries such as Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom had used the name even before it was marked as such in the due sea area on some Korean maps" without any fact as such, in their brochure and the board on the hall. It is because there are overwhelmingly numbers of western old maps which label the sea area concerned to be "Sea of Japan", "Goryeo sea" and "Joseon sea", but "East Sea".

Therefore, the exhibition "East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps " will, on the contrary to their expectation the world to correct the Sea of Japan as East Sea, have proven the fact that East Sea claimed by South Korea doesn't overlap with the Sea of Japan. Keeping fabricating the history of the lie, and cheating the inside and outside the country only complicate relations between Japan and South Korea fruitlessly. This kind of political advertisement never leave an excellent result to future generations, but simple international reliability to South Korea is lowered and the stain is left for the history, .

The same thing goes to their other explanation that "the claim by Japanese Government that Japan had owned Takeshima before 1905 is false" because "The map of the Great Japan", which the bureau of the staff of a Japanese army(日本陸軍参謀局) produced in 1877, does not depict Takeshima. This kind of sophistry comes from the disregard for the historical fact as is explained later.

It is necessary to clarify to which of historical titles of Takeshima in Japan-South Korea to belong when the Takeshima Issue as the history issue is discussed. They dissemble as if Korea's historical base on Takeshima/Dokdo sovereignty is well-grounded, by explaining that Liancourt Rocks have been "called as Usando, Sambongdo, Gajido and Seokdo, etc..." and the islets were labeled as "Tchian-chan-tao、Liancout Rocks、Hormet Rocks、Menelia or Olivutsa, etc... in old western maps." However, unfortunately, there is anything that shows Korea's historical title on Takeshima at all.

Although Korean claim that they called today's Takeshima as Usando, Sambongdo, Gajido and Seokdo, etc...", but that is absolutely groundless as I have already proved empirically in my article "A Study on the Name of Dokdo". Accordingly, as far as Korean has been keep failing to prove they had owned Takeshima/Dokdo before 1905, the year Japan officially incorporated Takeshima into Shimane Prefecture, Korea does not deserve to criticize Japan. The exhibition and their sophistry practically prove that they don't understand the historical background of Takeshima Issue at all. The origin of the issue can be traced to 18th January, 1952, the day Korean government installed the illegal delineation "The Syngman Rhee Line", encompassing the island of Takeshima and a large area of water with fisheries jurisdiction, over international waters. Afterwords, South Korea was yet able to prove it was historically Korea's territory, and all they talk was big brag "The territorial issue doesn't exist between Japan-South Korea", though the government of two countries exchanged memos, and repeated a formal controversy until the 1960's. This is the reason the government of Japan accuse Takeshima occupation in 1954 by South Korea to be an illegal occupancy.

Korea's Takeshima/Dokdo Research has been carried out on the assumption that "Dokdo is our territory (Takeshima is South Korea's territory)", and they interpreted documents and old maps, which has no competence to prove the sovereignty in the first place, arbitrary to claim their legitimacy. The exhibition "East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps " fall under this category. The background why such events are repeatedly held is it originates in the fact that the past Takeshima controversy between Japan-South Korea was irregular.

Although it is already proven that Takeshima was not Korea's territory in the view of history, there are two opinions concerning of the Takeshima Issue. Shimane Prefecture's Takeshima Research Center, that summarized the point of issue, concluded that Takeshima is Japanese territory on the ground the fact then Meiji government named Liancourt Rocks, of which
there were no traces of occupation by any other countries / Terra nullis, and incorporated into a Japanese territory in accordance with International Law in 1905. While Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan concludes that Takeshima is Japanese territory from Edo period, from the details of the controversy by the exchange of memos of Japan-South Korea so far.

Then, South Korea that wanted to refute the Japan's claim at any cost disregarded the opinion of the Takeshima Research Center of Shimane Prefecture and made the opinion of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs a subject of discussion. This time, they presented "The complete map of Japan"(大日本全図) as the grounds of an argument that the bureau of the staff of a Japanese army(日本陸軍参謀局) produced in 1877. According to their explanation, it supposed to be "the proof of Japanese Government's opinion that Japan had owned Takeshima before 1905 is false" since
Takeshima was not depicted.

However, it is natural that Takeshima that became a Japanese territory in 1905 doesn't exist in the map of Japan produced before 1905. No matter how maps that similar to this "The complete map of Japan" are collected, it hardly become any evidence to prove Takeshima is South Korean territory. South Korea's, who lacks empirical evidence to prove Takeshima is South Korea territory, claim that "Japanese government claim falsely" is just a propaganda maneuvers to justify their illegal occupancy of Takeshima. "False claim" is not on Japanese side, but on Korean side, who herself accuse Japan of false claim.

In fact, there is Korea's deceit behind the words the brochure says, "Dokdo is referred to as 'Tchian-chan-tao', 'Liancourt Rocks', 'Hornet Rocks', 'Menelai' or 'Olivutsa' in western old maps." The name "Liancourt Rocks" originate from the fact French whaler Liancourt found the islets in 1849. "Hornet Rocks" originate from the fact that British warship H.M.S. Hornet identified them and plotted on the nautical-chart in 1855. "Menalai and Olivutsa Rocks" again originate in the fact Russian frigate Paleada have surveyed the island and named it Olivutsa(Оливуца) & Menelai(Менелай) in 1854. Accordingly, there are concrete reason that Takeshima/Dokdo was named as such in western old maps. The point is, "Tchian-chan-tao" (the sound of the Chinese word "千山島") is not today's Takeshima/Dokdo. "Tchian-chan-tao" in western old maps comes from "Map of the Eight Provinces" (八道總圖 - 팔도총도) in A Revised Edition of the Augmented Survey of the Geography of Korea” (新增東國輿地勝覽 : The Sinjeung Dongguk Yeoji Seungram) indicates "千山島" and it does correctly indicates "千山島". However, "千山島" in "Map of the Eight Provinces" is the same island with different names of Ulleungdo, and it has no relationship with Takeshima in territorial dispute between Japan-Korea. "千山島" in "Map of the Eight Provinces" is depicted between Joseon peninsula and Ulleungdo, and it is apparent from the description of "Annals of King Taejong" (太宗實錄 - 태종실록) , which was quoted in ”The Sinjeung Dongguk Yeoji Seungram”, that it was another name of Ulleungdo. However, problem is, the incorrect geographical knowledge of "Map of the Eight Provinces" was followed suit by western old maps (Note by translater ; via China) and Usando, which is the same island/different name of Ulleungdo, imparted to as well. "Royaume de Coree" by French royal geographer D'Anville in 1737, which was on display at the exhibition, is one of those maps and it is the ringleader who confuses the Western old maps. "The Chart of Japan" by William Heine, who accompanied the first expedition of the US fleet under Commander Matthew Perry to Japan as an official artist/book illustrator in 1853, depicts three islands, "Takeshima"(Argonaut=non-existant),"Matsushima"(Ulleungdo/Dagelet), "Hornet Rocks"(today's Takeshima), plus two islands "Pan-ling-tao", which indicates Ulleungdo and "Tchian-chan-tao" which originates in "千山島" in the vicinity of the East coast of Joseon peninsula. Same goes to "(U.S) Navy Chart of the Coast of China 、Pacific coast (Asia), Japan islands Copied to ordered by Commandar Mattew Perry(1855)", a foldout map in "The Narrative of the Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry's Expedition to Japan", and it depicts two Ulleungdos, namely "Dagelet or Matsushima"(=Ulleungdo) and "Pan-ling-tao"(=Ulleungdo), following the geographical knowledge of "Royaume de Coree" by D'Anville.

The exhibition "East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps " held by the Northeast Asian History Foundation arbitrarily decide ”Tchian-chan-tao” in "Royaume de Coree" by D'Anville is today's Takeshima, but in fact, ”Tchian-chan-tao” only followed the mistake of "Map of the Eight Provinces". Therefore, it can never become a evidence for Korea's sovereignty over Takeshima.

Korean side claim Takeshima is their territory by arbitrary interpreting the documented source or old maps neglecting document criticism, however, this kind of claim, which lacks the technique of a fair historical study, is nothing but just a reckless remark.

"The New Detailed Map of Japan, Russia, China and Korea"(日露清韓明細新図) which Korea's Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University opened on this April 1 to the public is not the exception. The map is written as to have been produced by "The Department of Survey of Imperial Army/
Navy"(帝国陸海測量部) in 1903, and borderline is appearing between Japan and Korea with "Takeshima" and "Matsushima" on Korean side. Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University claimed that the map "depict what Japanese call "Takeshima=Ulleungdo" and Matsushima=Dokdo" belong to Joseon territory", and Kim Hwa-Kyung(金和経), the head of the Institute, said that "Japan should discontinue the insistence on the sovereignty over Dokdo in the situation with evidence Japan himself divided the border voluntarily recognizing the South Korean territory Dokdo". (Note by translator : There was no such department as "The Department of Survey of Imperial Army/Navy"(帝国陸海測量部) in Military history of Japan. This handy map is apparently produced by non-official Mr. Kurimoto(東京日本橋:栗本長質), the private mapmaker who seems to have tried to sell the map under a fake official name. The map is made for the soldier who goes to war to the oversea land. )

However, "Takeshima" and "Matsushima" in "The New Detailed Map of Japan, Russia, China and Korea"(日露清韓明細新図) are phantom island "Argonaut" and "Ulleungdo", respectively, apparently from their longitude. Because, Ulleungdo had been recognized as "Matsushima" in Japan since about 1883(16th year of Meiji). The remote cause of the confusion is Philipp Franz von Siebold's map "Karte vom japanischen Reiche, nach Originalkarten und astronomischen Beobachtungen der Japaner die Inseln Kiusiu, Sikok und Nippon"(1840) , which depicts "Takasima (I. Argonaute)", the island of uncertain whereabouts (129°50" E) and Ulleungdo as "Matsusima (I. Dagelet)" (130°56" E). Therefore, after this Siebold's map, western maps and charts depict phantom island "Takeshima=Argonaut" and "Matsushima=Dagelet", which is Ulleungdo, and Japan followed it. Takeshima, which is currently occupied illegally by South Korea, locates at 131°55" E. Accordingly, it has nothing to do with "Take(a)sima" (129°50" E) nor "Matsusima" (130°56" E) in Siebold's map "Karte vom japanischen Reiche, nach Originalkarten und astronomischen Beobachtungen der Japaner die Inseln Kiusiu, Sikok und Nippon"(1840).

Therefore, "Takeshima" and "Matsushima" in "The New Detailed Map of Japan, Russia, China and Korea"(日露清韓明細新図) (1903) are phantom island "Argonaut" and "Ulleungdo", respectively, and it is also apparent from their longitude and latitude. For that reason, it is prejudiced opinion to disregard the fact of the history for Kim Hwa-Kyung(金和経), the head of the Institute, to have said that "It is the evidence Japan himself divided the border voluntarily recognizing the South Korean territory Dokdo". Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks, which used to be called as "Matsushima" by Japanese in Edo era, was officially named as "Takeshima" when it was incorporated into official Japanese territory in 1905, being switched by the old name of Ulleungdo, which used to be called as "Takeshima", because of mislabel of Ulleungdo as Matsushima in Siebold's map "Karte vom japanischen Reiche, nach Originalkarten und astronomischen Beobachtungen der Japaner die Inseln Kiusiu, Sikok und Nippon"(1840).

"Takeshima" and another island = "Matsushima" of the Dajokan instruction, which Korean frequently takes up for a subject for discussion, simply meant that phantom island "Takeshima" and "Matsushima" as a another name of Ulleungdo, and it didn't instructed that today's Takeshima to be outside the territory of Japan. South Korean seems tend to interpret documents and maps recklessly in order to make Takeshima/Linancourt Rocks is Korea's territory. However, it is impossible and unreasonable for them to claim Takeshima which have never been their own territory in the first place, as their own.

Finally, both the exhibition "East Sea and Dokdo in Old Maps" and the Dokdo Institute of Yeungnam University are interpreting documents and a part of the old map arbitrary, and fabricating the history of the lie. This kind of act will leave the wound with irreparable relations between Japan and South Korea. This is a reason to dare to give unpleasant but wholesome advice.

“実事求是 〜日韓のトゲ、竹島問題を考える〜 第26回  「東北アジア歴史財団」主催の「東海独島古地図展」について  下條正男”

Courtesy of Web Takeshima Research Center.

The 25th column “"Opinion Ad by The Unity of Asian Peace and History Education"”

The 24th column “South Korean Government dug their own grave by publishing the English version of "The Dokdo/Takeshima Controversy" by Prof. Emeritus Naito Seichu and Mr. Park Byeong-seop.”

The 23rd column " Refutation against the report of South Korean Yonhap News Agency which misread the Mori Kohan(森幸安)'s "The Map of Tsushima(對馬輿地図)"

The 22th column “ Refutation against "The Meiji Government's recognition of Takeshima=Dokdo" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)””, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

The 21st column " Refutation against "Analysis of Shimojo Masao's Editorials" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)”

The 20th column “Act of Folly by "Northeast Asian History Foundation"”

The 19th column “"Korea Maritime Institute(KMI : 韓国海洋水産開発院), who lacks ability to read their own historical documents, criticized on Shimane Prefecture. "”

The 18th columnAbsurd and Peculiar Theory of Prof. Hosaka, plus the "Children and textbook nationwide net 21" and others' Getting "Out of Control.”

The 17th column “The Ordinance of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office, No.24 and the Ordinance of the Ministry of Finance, No.4 in 1951(昭和26年).

The 16th column ""Dokdo Month" without any historical grounds."

The 15th column " South Korea's Groundless Claim of "Inherent Part of (Korean) Territory"

The 14th column “A reckless Courage of the Professor Kimishima Kazuhiko(君島和彦) of Tokyo Gakugei University(東京学芸大学).

The 13th column “Sins of Asahi Shimbun and Mr. Wakamiya Yoshibumi(若宮啓文).

The 12th column “Northeast Asian History Foundation and Dokdo Research Center's Misunderstanding”

The 11th column “South Korea's Misunderstanding of 'A Map of Three Adjoining Countries (Sangoku Setsujozu 三国接壌図)' by Hayashi Shihei(林子平)”

The 10th column " A Blunder of Sokdo(石島) = Dokto(独島) Theory

The 9th column "Criticism on Dokdo Research Center”

The 8th column “The Historical Facts" The 6th column “Onshu-shicho-goki (隠州視聴合記)" and the "Nihon Yochi Totei Zenzu (日本輿地路程全図)" by Nagakubo Sekisui(長久保赤水)"
The 5th column “South Korea’s erroneous interpretation of the document 'Takeshima and Another Island are Unrelated to Japan"
The 4th column “Errors in Educational Video Produced by the Northeast Asian History Foundation (東北アジア歴史財団)."

References ;

1817 - Aaron Arrowsmith's map of Japan and Von Siebold

1877 - Argument about "another island": details of the compiled official documents (公文禄) of the Ministry of the Interior (太政官指令)

1880 - Japanese Warship "Amagi" (軍艦天城) Surveys Ulleungdo and finds "Takeshima" is Jukdo.

1881 - Kitazawa Masanari(北澤正誠), a official of MOFA concluded that "Takeshima" is Jukdo in "A Study of Takeshima (Takeshima Kosho 竹島考証) "

1883 - Mar. 1 - The island that Japan calls Matushima or Takeshima and Korea calls Ulleungdo (The Draft of Official Notice : 内達案)
「竹 島外一島之儀本邦関係無之について」再考−明治十四年大屋兼助外一名の「松島開拓願」を中心に−

2008-下條正男「独島呼称考 : 韓国政府版「独島:六世紀以来韓国の領土」批判」