竹島問題の歴史

9.11.09

The 22nd column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)”, Part 4

Below is the second part of the translation of The 22nd column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)” by Prof. Shimojo Masao

" Refutation against "The Meiji Government's recognition of Takeshima=Dokdo" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)” - Part 4"

(3) Department of the Navy's recognition of "Takeshima and Matsushima"

Mr. Park wrote, " It is noteworthy that Liancourt Rocks was described only to 'Joseon waterway magazine(朝鮮水路誌)', and had not been described to 'Japanese waterway magazine "(p45) He assumed it as a evidence that "Hydrography Department considered Liancourt Rocks, that is, Takeshima = Dokdo outside a Japanese territory." (p46)

However, this is groundless claim since his interpretation of the description of 'Joseon waterway magazine' was strained. The article "Situation" in 1894 edition of the book clearly described that territory of Korea is, " From 124º 30'E longitude to 130º 35'E". Naturally, Liancourt Rocks which situate in 131°55" E is not included in Korean territory.

Besides, the article "Japan Sea", in which Liancourt Rocks are listed, also list "Ulleungdo(another name Matsushima)" and "Waywoda Rock(ワイオダ岩)" as well. According to 'Joseon waterway magazine', "The Waywoda Rock, above water, was originally reported by the Russian corvette Veovoda, in 1859, as situated in lat. 42°16' N., long. 137°18' E." and "The Sea Chart of Hokkaido and Northeastern Islands(北洲及北東諸島)"(1893), which was drawn based on Admiralty Chart No.2405(1895), placed it between Hokkaido and Amur Coastal State(黒龍沿岸州).

"Waywoda Rock" was simply listed as the dangerous rocks(暗岩危礁)" in the Sea of Japan, and Liancourt Rocks was listed by the same reason. It can't be any kind of "evidence" that the author considered it as Joseon territory only because it was included in "Joseon waterway magazine".

On the other hand, Liancourt Rocks was discovered by French whaling ship Le Liancourt in 1849 and Takeshima, Matsushima and Liancourt Rocks are drawn in "Complete Map of Pacific Ocean" of French naval forces in 1851. Takeshima(Argonaut) disappeared from around Admiralty Chart No.2347 `JAPAN- NIPON, KIUSIU & SIHOK AND PART OF KOREA` (1876), and it described Matsushima(Uleungdo) and Liancourt Rocks. It was one year before Dajokan instructed "Takeshima and other island" and 4 years before Meiji government confirmed that Matsushima was Ulleungdo as well.

Therefore, Liancourt Rocks was actually "Terra nullius" that did not belong to the country at the time. It cannot be an invasion even if Meiji government had named it as Takeshima and incorporated into Shimane Prefecture as "Terra nullius" in 1905. Because there are no

historical grounds that make Liancourt Rocks a Korean
territory in South Korea, and
"Dongguk Munheon Bigo東国文献備考)"(1770)'s annotation, which SK had been relayed on as grounds of an argument, is already proved as the falsification of posterity.

Recently, Korean started to claim that Dokdo(=Takeshima/Liancourt Rocks) as their "inherent territory", and Mr. Park even wrote that "it is needless to say that this is contradictory to "Takeshima as inherent territory" by Japanese government (p49). However, the only country which is qualified to claim it as "inherent part of the territory" is Japan. The term "Inherent Territory(固有の領土)" indicate the territory which have never been ruled by any other country either like northern territories. As for Takeshima, which had been "Terra nullius" in 1905, Japan was ruling effect from at least 1905 to prewar day. Japanese government has a right to claim Takeshima as "Terra nullius, but South Korea, who invaded Japanese territory in 1954, is apparently disqualified to do claim Dokdo as her "inherent territory" at all.

---------------------------------------------

In conclusion, it is clear that Mr. Park's claim that "theMeiji government consistently held to the policy of making Takeshima and Matsushima outside the territory in Japan until incorporation in 1905" (p36) and they made Korean territory as Japanese territory justifying it as it was "Terra nullius" in the middle of Russo-Japanese War is baseless claim. His article "The Meiji Government's Recognition of Takeshima=Dokdo" (Studies of the cultures in Northeast Asia, no.28, 2008, pp.33-49.) was only a political advertisement that fabricated the falsified history, which confused the Takeshima issue as the history issue, too.

“実事求是 〜日韓のトゲ、竹島問題を考える〜 第22回 朴炳渉氏の「明治政府の竹島=独島認識」(「北東アジア文化研究」第28号)を駁す 下條正男”


Courtesy of Web Takeshima Research Center.


The 24th column “South Korean Government dug their own grave by publishing the English version of "The Dokdo/Takeshima Controversy" by Prof. Emeritus Naito Seichu and Mr. Park Byeong-seop.”


The 23rd column " Refutation against the report of South Korean Yonhap News Agency which misread the Mori Kohan(森幸安)'s "The Map of Tsushima(對馬輿地図)"


The 22th column “ Refutation against "The Meiji Government's recognition of Takeshima=Dokdo" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)””, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

The 21st column " Refutation against "Analysis of Shimojo Masao's Editorials" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)”

The 20th column “Act of Folly by "Northeast Asian History Foundation"”

The 19th column “"Korea Maritime Institute(KMI : 韓国海洋水産開発院), who lacks ability to read their own historical documents, criticized on Shimane Prefecture. "”

The 18th columnAbsurd and Peculiar Theory of Prof. Hosaka, plus the "Children and textbook nationwide net 21" and others' Getting "Out of Control.”

The 17th column “The Ordinance of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office, No.24 and the Ordinance of the Ministry of Finance, No.4 in 1951(昭和26年).

The 16th column ""Dokdo Month" without any historical grounds."

The 15th column " South Korea's Groundless Claim of "Inherent Part of (Korean) Territory"

The 14th column “A reckless Courage of the Professor Kimishima Kazuhiko(君島和彦) of Tokyo Gakugei University(東京学芸大学).

The 13th column “Sins of Asahi Shimbun and Mr. Wakamiya Yoshibumi(若宮啓文).

The 12th column “Northeast Asian History Foundation and Dokdo Research Center's Misunderstanding”

The 11th column “South Korea's Misunderstanding of 'A Map of Three Adjoining Countries (Sangoku Setsujozu 三国接壌図)' by Hayashi Shihei(林子平)”

The 10th column " A Blunder of Sokdo(石島) = Dokto(独島) Theory

The 9th column "Criticism on Dokdo Research Center”

The 8th column “The Historical Facts" The 6th column “Onshu-shicho-goki (隠州視聴合記)" and the "Nihon Yochi Totei Zenzu (日本輿地路程全図)" by Nagakubo Sekisui(長久保赤水)"

The 5th column “South Korea’s erroneous interpretation of the document 'Takeshima and Another Island are Unrelated to Japan"

The 4th column “Errors in Educational Video Produced by the Northeast Asian History Foundation (東北アジア歴史財団)."

Reference :
1656 - "Yojiji (輿地志)" by Ryu Hyung-won (柳馨遠) didn't say "Usan is so-called Japanese Matsushima."

1667 - Onshu Shicho Goki (隠州視聴合記)

1877 - Argument about "another island": details of the compiled official documents (公文禄) of the Ministry of the Interior (太政官指令)

1893 - "The Sea Chart of Hokkaido and Northeastern Islands(北洲及北東諸島)" plots Waywoda Rock far outside of Korean territory

1853-1922 - Kimotsuki Kaneyuki (肝付兼行)

68 comments:

  1. Does anybody know how "黒龍沿岸州" is written in English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 私がyoutubeに投稿していた動画を少し改良を加えてみました。

    bgmをいれて韓国語のアノテーションをいれてみました。さらに改良を加えるために、どなたか英語と韓国語の表現で改善すべき点かあれば指摘してはいただけないでしょうか。


    竹島問題 ・于山島検証動画part1 / 竹島(독도)검증동영상

    ReplyDelete
  3. 大槻修二は松島竹島を朝鮮の属島と考えていたことを示します。

    I show here OHTSUKI Shuuji considered Matsushima and Takeshima Korean islands.

    下條正男教授は、大槻修二には竹島と松島が日本領との認識があった、と述べました。しかし、下條教授が引用した大槻修二『再刻日本地誌要略』(1879)は、松島竹島を統属なき地と書いています。

    Prof. SHIMOJO Masao said OHTSUKI Shuuji recognized Takeshima and Matsushima as Japanese territory. “OHTSUKI Shuuji: Summary of Japanese Geography, Reprinted (1879)” quoted by Prof. SHIMOJO writes, however, that Matsushima and Takeshima don’t belong to any nations.

    『日本地誌要略』(1875)「隠岐」条の最後は、次のように記されています。「抑・此國ハ、日本海中西邉ノ絶島ニシテ、其西北洋中ニ、松島・竹島ノ兩島アリ、共ニ朝鮮・地方ニ接近スレドモ、亦・居民・統屬ナク、各方ノ人、時に來リテ、海獵ノ場トナスト云フ、」

    Referring to an intelligible translation by Mr. Kaneganese, I translate the last passage of “Oki Province” in “Summary of Japanese Geography (1875)” as follows. “To begin with, the Province of Oki occupies remote islands on the western periphery in the sea of Japan. To the northwest of the Province are two islands, Matsushima and Takeshima. Both approach the Coast of Korea; nevertheless, they are uninhabited and seem not to belong to any nations. Then, it is said that the islands are an occasional fishing and hunting ground of people from different countries.”

    大槻修二『改正日本地誌要略』(1886)では、松島竹島を「統属なき地」から「朝鮮の属島」と改正しました。「此國ハ日本海中・西邊ノ絶嶋ニシテ、其西北海上ニ松嶋・竹嶋ノ両嶋アリ、相隔ル殆・一百里ニシテ、朝鮮ニテ蔚陵嶋ト稱ス、近來定メテ其國ノ屬嶋トナスト云フ、」

    In “OHTSUKI Shuuji: Summary of Japanese Geography, Revised (1886)” the following was written. “The Province of Oki occupies remote islands on the western periphery in the sea of Japan. To the northwest of the Province are two islands, Matsushima and Takeshima. Both are about one hundred ri away from Oki, and Koreans call the main island Iryoutou. Recently, it is said that the islands were resolved to belong to Korea.”

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information, arare

    However, it says only Ulluengdo, not Ryanko-to, which was the name of today's Takeshima at the time in Japan, it is highly unlikely that Ohtsuki considered today's Takeshima as Joseon's.

    Please refere to the latest report by Mr. Sugihara.

    「竹島外一島之儀本邦関係無之について」再考−明治十四年大屋兼助外一名の「松島開拓願」を中心に−

    Apparently, Meiji government concluded that Takeshima and the other island (= Matsushima) was Ulleungdo and both islands belong to Joseon. Ohtsuki's revision perfectly coincides with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 幕末から明治初期にかけて、日本海西部の地理情報は混乱しています。「松島」「竹島」の名が出てきますが、どの島を指しているのかよく考えないと結論を誤ります。

    江戸時代、竹島とは鬱陵島のことであり、松島とは今日の竹島のことでした。それれがシーボルトの地図を契機に、今日の鬱陵島を「松島」、それよりも西にある幻の島を「竹島」と呼ぶようになりました。これはフランスの測量によるダジョレー島に松島、イギリスの測量によるアルゴノート島に竹島の名を当て嵌めたためです。シーボルトが、日本と朝鮮の間には松島があり、その先に竹島があるという知識を持っていたことと、イギリス海軍の測量が誤っていたために生み出された幻の島がヨーロッパで知られていたことによる取り違えでした。

    そして今日の竹島は「リアンクール巌」とか「リャンコ島」あるいは「ヤンコ島」などと呼ばれていました。


    1886年ですと錯綜していた情報が竹島も松島も鬱陵島のことだと整理されていますから、それを大槻修二は反映させた改訂をしたと言えるでしょう。決して今日の竹島を朝鮮領であるとしたわけではないことに注意すべきです。

    ReplyDelete
  6. arare,

    Could you please show us the images of the original text of Ohtsuki's three books? You can send me by the e-mail (My HN at gmail dot com). It could be a good example of Meiji Government's process of the recognition of the two islands, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. arare さん


    >>『日本地誌要略』(1875)「隠岐」条の最後は、次のように記されています。「抑此國ハ、日本海中西邉ノ絶島ニシテ、其西北洋中ニ、松島竹島ノ兩島アリ、共ニ朝鮮地方ニ接近スレドモ、亦居民統屬ナク、各方ノ人、時に來リテ、海獵ノ場トナスト云フ、」

    1875年の『日本地誌要略』には松島・竹島について「共ニ朝鮮地方ニ接近スレドモ」とあります。現竹島は朝鮮と日本の中間にありますから『日本地誌要略』の「共ニ朝鮮地方ニ接近」している松島竹島はダジュレー島とアルゴノート島すなわち両方鬱陵島を指していると私は考えます。
    これは1877年の「竹島外一島」の太政官指令より前の日本政府の松島・竹島認識であると考えられます。
    一方1879年に書かれた『再刻日本地誌要略』には1877年の「竹島外一島」の太政官指令の認識が反映されているはずですが、やはり「共に朝鮮地方に接近すれども、亦居民統属なく」とあります。これはすなわち1877年の太政官指令では松島竹島が日本の領土ではないことを判断したのみで、松島竹島が朝鮮の領土と積極的に認定わけではないと考えられます。
    1886年の『改正日本地誌要略』には「朝鮮ニテ蔚陵嶋ト稱ス、近來定メテ其國ノ屬嶋トナスト云フ、」とあって最近になって日本政府が松島竹島を朝鮮領土に認定したことが明記されています。
    一方1900年の吉田東伍の『大日本地名辞書』には、
    「明治十六年、 更に日韓両政府の談判あり、 我往漁の舟を還して、 再往するなからしめ、 明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」

    とあります。吉田東伍も大槻修二同様、明治期の日本政府の地誌作成に深く関わった人物であることはarare さんもよくご存知ですよね。
    ということは『改正日本地誌要略』に「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」とあるのは1877年の太政官指令ではなく、1883年(明治十六年)の日韓両政府の談判によって「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲し」たと判断すべきではないでしょうか。

    ちなみに以前ヤフーの掲示板でarare さんは1882年の鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』の竹島松島について竹島=鬱陵島であり松島=現竹島=独島であると主張されていらっしゃいましたがこれは間違いではないでしょうか。
    同じく1882年に描かれた武田勝次郎の『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』と見比べて下さい。西洋の古地図にあるアルゴノート島の形をした竹島の東に実際の鬱陵島の形をした松島があり、さらにその東南にリエンコヲルトロック=現竹島=独島があります。
    『朝鮮國全圖』の松島が現竹島ならば、同じ年に描かれた『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』に松島のほかにリエンコヲルトロックがあるのは明らかに不自然です。
    朝鮮国全図
    大日本朝鮮支那全図02

    1966年の川上健三の『竹島の歴史地理学的研究 』には、鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』の竹島松島は長久保赤水系の地図の認識であるかのごとく書かれていますが、これは『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』を確認できなかったために判断を誤ったものと思われます。
    どんなに優秀な学者先生でも必要な情報を入手できなければ陸に上がった河童も同然なのではないでしょうか。当時はインターネットのような物はありませんでしたからね。便利な世の中になったものです。

    ReplyDelete
  8. 百年の 時を隔てて 日韓に

     いさかい残す 測量のミス

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kaneganese様

    Thanks for comment.

    That “Matsushima” is “New Takeshima”, not Ulluengdo, is confirmed by the accounts in “Revised Dictionary on Summary of Japanese Geography (1879)”, which gives a brief explanation by NAGATA Housei of the words used in “OHTSUKI Shuuji: Summary of Japanese Geography”. NAGATA says that Matsushima is 148 ri northwest of the Province and similarly Takeshima 212 ri.

    「松島」は「新竹島」であり鬱陵島ではないことは、『大槻修二閲・永田方正編:改正日本地誌要略字引』に、「松島:國ノ西北海上百四十八里ニアリ 竹島:同ク洋中二百十二里ニアリ」と書いてあることから明らかです。

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaneganese様がお尋ねの大槻修二の著書について説明します。確かに大槻修二(1845-1931)の著書は、日本人が松島竹島をどの様に認識していたかの一つの例を示します。ただし彼は、1871年文部省に出仕して初等地理教科書『日本地誌略』などの編集に従事しましたが、1874年弟文彦に家督を譲って隠居、学問(雑学)三昧の生活を送ったそうです。従って、これは明治政府の見解ではないことにご留意ください。

    私が引用した文は主に、国立国会図書館の「近代デジタルライブラリー」からとりました。既にご承知と思いますが、「近代デジタルライブラリー」で「日本地誌要略」を検索すると、11件がヒットします。『日本地誌要略』は5巻からなり1875年6月に初版が発行されました。

    前掲の「松島:國ノ西北海上百四十八里ニアリ 竹島:同ク洋中二百十二里ニアリ」の記事は、その中の『改正日本地誌要略字引』の138コマ目にあります。数値は何からとったか不明ですが、浬のつもりかもしれません。大槻修二はまた、1874年の『日本地名字引』にも「松島:隠岐西北海上百四十八里ニアリ 竹島:同二百十二里ニアリ 両島共ニ朝鮮ニ接ス」と書いています。松島と竹島が朝鮮に接するとは、今までにない表現です。『日本地名字引』は北大北方資料室と早稲田大学図書館からネットで公開されています。

    下條教授が引用した『再刻日本地誌要略』は、1879年発行の6巻からなる『日本地誌要略』の4巻以降で、3巻までは『改正日本地誌要略』と記され、『日本地誌提要』などに據ってかなり大幅な改定が加えられました。しかし、『再刻日本地誌要略』「巻之五中國」の隠岐条の記述は、1875年の『日本地誌要略』と殆ど同じで、「抑・此國ハ、日本海中西邉ノ絶島ニシテ、其西北洋中ニ、松島・竹島ノ兩島アリ、共ニ朝鮮・地方ニ接近スレドモ、亦・居民・統屬ナク各方ノ人、時ニ來リテ、海獵ノ場トナスト云フ、」とあります。強いて違いを言えば、「居民・統屬ナク」の後の読点が無いことです。

    上記の松島竹島の記述は隠岐条の末尾にありますが、隠岐条の最初は「隠岐ハ、・・出雲ノ海上・十六里ニアリ、」と隠岐の位置を示しています。それにも拘らず、再び「抑・此國ハ、日本海中西邉ノ絶島ニシテ、」と「隠岐が日本の海域(the sea of Japan)では西邉の遠く離れた島である」ことを述べています。次の「其西北洋中ニ、松島・竹島ノ兩島アリ、共ニ朝鮮・地方ニ接近スレドモ、亦・居民・統屬ナク」は、大槻修二が最も言いたかったことではないかと思います。

    ReplyDelete
  11. 抑、当時の日本人の多くは松島竹島を全く知らなかったようです。また知識人でさえ、幕府が朝鮮へ御渡しになった島との認識でした。これに反して、博識のディレッタントでナショナリストでもあった大槻修二は、『日本地誌略』隠岐國条で「又西北ノ洋中ニ、松島・竹島アリ、」と記し、『日本地誌要略』では「松島と竹島は隠岐の西北はるか彼方にあり、しかも朝鮮の地方(じかた:沿岸)に近いけれども、朝鮮から移り住む人もなく、何処の国にも属していない」、特に「統屬ナク」即ち、最も近い朝鮮の島でもないことを強調したかった、と私は考えます。

    『再刻日本地誌要略』(1879)で初版(1875)の「統屬ナク」を訂正しなかったことから、大槻修二は1877年3月の「竹島外一島本邦関係無之」とした太政官指令を知らなかったと思われます。領土問題に関心の深かった修二の弟の大槻文彦は、1878年8月の『洋々社談』に「竹島松島ノ記事」と題して次のように書いています。「・・今ヤ北ハ唐太千島ノ交換アリテ魯國トノ紛紜ヲ終ヘ西ハ朝鮮ト和成テ葛藤始メテ解ケ東南ノ小笠原島英人既ニ其所有ノ權ヲ放棄シ南方ノ琉球モ亦將ニ其兩屬ノ名ヲ処置セムトス此時ニ当リテ此二島ノ事措テ問ハザルハ亦遺憾トスベシ其ノ後レテ人ニ制セラレシ唐太ノ如ク其数年ノ異議ヲ起シゝ小笠原島ノ如キハ我レ竹島松島ニ於テ望ム所ニアラズ乃チ二島ノ事ヲ記シテ世ノ志士ノ説ヲ起サムトス」。文部省に出仕していた大槻文彦もこの指令を知らなかったようです。大槻文彦は後に、『校正日本小史』(1887)で「唐太千島ノ交換」「小笠原島琉球」の章は立てましたが、竹島松島には触れませんでした。

    大槻修二は1886年に全面的に書き直した『改正日本地誌要略』を刊行しました。ただし、「近代デジタルライブラリー」には1886年の訂正初版はないので、1889年6月の訂正再版から引用しました。隠岐条の最後にある文の冒頭「此國ハ日本海中・西邊ノ絶嶋ニシテ、其西北海上ニ松嶋・竹嶋ノ兩嶋アリ、」は、「抑」を省き「其西北洋中ニ、」を「其西北海上ニ」とした他は、初版・再刻版と全く同じです。「松嶋・竹嶋ノ兩嶋アリ」を改めなかったことは、大槻修二が「松嶋」を鬱陵島とは決して考えていなかったことを示します。最後の「近來定メテ其國ノ屬嶋トナスト云フ、」は、朝鮮からの抗議を受けて、明治政府が鬱陵島から日本人を引き揚げさせたこと等を知ったからでしょう。

    ReplyDelete
  12. Makoto様

    一部の欧米の地図が「松島」「竹島」を誤って図示した経緯のご説明、大変参考になりました。有難うございます。

    しかし、日本には誤った欧米人の地図に惑わされない人々が大勢いました。幕府は竹島松島を朝鮮に譲ったから、伊能図に竹島松島が無いのは当然として、太政官地誌課は1873年Take I.・Matsou I.と記した『Carte de l'empire du Japon』を作りウイン万国博に展示しました。この地図には、はるかに大きい済州島を載せていないので、作成者(塚本明毅?)は竹島・松島を日本領と考えていたように見えます(ヤフー掲示板「竹島」No.15816)。その説明として『日本地誌提要』は書かれました。『日本地誌提要』は、隠岐國島嶼の項の最後に、隠岐の小島とは別に、「又西北に方リテ松島竹島ノ二島アリ。土俗相傳テ云フ。穩地郡福浦港ヨリ松島ニ至ル。海路凡六拾九里三拾五町。竹島ニ至ル。海路凡百里四町餘。朝鮮ニ至ル海路凡百三拾六里三拾町。」と記し、地誌課も松島と竹島を別々の島と考えていました(ヤフー掲示板「竹島」No.15715)。

    >1886年ですと錯綜していた情報が竹島も松島も鬱陵島のことだと整理されていますから、それを大槻修二は反映させた改訂をしたと言えるでしょう。

    Makoto様が言われるように、19世紀後半には、欧米の誤った地図の影響で、鬱陵島を松島とした地図や文書がかなり見られるようになりました。そのため、明治政府は鬱陵島(竹島)に松島という名も認めました。しかし、大槻修二の著書や『日本地誌提要』の「松島」及び太政官指令の「外一島」などを、鬱陵島のことだと「整理」した訳ではありません。

    ReplyDelete
  13. yabutarou様

    ご意見を賜り、いろいろ考えさせて頂きました。有難うございます。同意出来るところもありますが、出来ないところもあります。

    >1875年の『日本地誌要略』には松島・竹島について「共ニ朝鮮地方ニ接近スレドモ」とあります。現竹島は朝鮮と日本の中間にありますから『日本地誌要略』の「共ニ朝鮮地方ニ接近」している松島竹島はダジュレー島とアルゴノート島すなわち両方鬱陵島を指していると私は考えます。

    これには同意できません。確かに大槻修二は、先に述べたように、松島・竹島を朝鮮に接するとまで言っており、朝鮮に近い島と見ていました。しかし彼は、松島と竹島を互いに離れたそれぞれ別々の島と認識していますから、両方鬱陵島を指すダジュレー島とアルゴノート島とは、全く考えていなかったと私は思います。

    >1886年の『改正日本地誌要略』には「朝鮮ニテ蔚陵嶋ト稱ス、近來定メテ其國ノ屬嶋トナスト云フ、」とあって最近になって日本政府が松島竹島を朝鮮領土に認定したことが明記されています。
    一方1900年の吉田東伍の『大日本地名辞書』には、「明治十六年、 更に日韓両政府の談判あり、 我往漁の舟を還して、 再往するなからしめ、 明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」とあります。(中略)ということは『改正日本地誌要略』に「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」とあるのは1877年の太政官指令ではなく、1883年(明治十六年)の日韓両政府の談判によって「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲し」たと判断すべきではないでしょうか。

    同意します。yabutarou様が言われるように、「日本政府が松島竹島を朝鮮領土に認定したこと」は確かです。吉田東伍『大日本地名辭書』冨山房(1900)について、隠岐國福浦の項の最後をもう少し長く引用して補足します(ヤフー掲示板「竹島」No.17552)。

    それには次のように書かれています。「明治維新後、又漁民の來往するものありて、地誌提要には隠岐國の下に附載して曰く、土俗相傳ふ、福浦より松島に至る海路凡六十九里、竹島に至る、海路凡百里、朝鮮に至る、海路凡百三十六里と、松島とは輿地勝覽の三峰島なるべし、明治十六年、更に日韓両政府の談判あり、我往漁の舟を還して、再往するなからしめ、明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」

    この文から吉田東伍は、1886年以後の大槻修二と同様に、松島(現竹島)と竹島(鬱陵島)を明らかに朝鮮の所属と考えていました。なお、奥原碧雲『竹島及鬱陵島』(1907)では、最後の「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」を「明かに、竹島を以て朝鮮の所屬となしぬ。」竹島即ち鬱陵島だけが朝鮮の所属となった、と書き換えました。奥原碧雲の立場としては止むを得なかったでしょう。

    ReplyDelete
  14. yabutarou様、大変面白い武田勝次郎『大日本朝鮮支那全図』(1882)の紹介を有難うございます。この地図は川上健三『竹島の歴史地理学的研究』(1966)等で紹介されている橋本玉蘭『大日本四神全圖』(1871)と殆ど同じです。左下に「御届明治十五年八月二十六日 槁本玉蘭齋原圖 編集人 武田勝次郎」とありますから、武田勝次郎が『大日本四神全圖』を1882年に『大日本朝鮮八道支那三國全圖幷琉球沖縄縣小笠原島㠀開墾圖』と題して再版したもののようです。

    川上健三氏は『大日本四神全圖』を勝海舟識『大日本國沿海略圖』(1867)の系統をひく西欧の翻訳図と見ました。1807年生まれの橋本玉蘭は、画家としては傑出した人で、積極的に西洋の画法を取り入れました。その関係から、竹島松島については、シーボルトの誤りを未だ訂正しなかった欧米の地図を参考にして、この図を作ったのでしょう。幾つかの誤りを含むとはいえ、豊富な情報量を持つ『大日本四神全圖』は、明治初年の時点では有意義なものだったと思われます。

    しかし、1882年に『大日本四神全圖』を再刻したのは理解に苦しみます。朝鮮や中国までを含み、アルゴノート島としての「竹シマ」、鬱陵島の「松シマ」、それに「リユンコヲルトロック」を描いているので利用したのかもしれませんが、日本地図にはもっと優れたものが幾つもあります。例えば、小笠原島開墾図と題しながら小笠原島の形は1675年の嶋谷市左衛門の地図と同じです。しかし、小野友五郎や塚本明毅らは1862年に小笠原諸島の現在と殆ど変らぬ地図を作り、これは川上寛『大日本地圖』(1871)・木村信卿『大日本全圖』(1877)・内務省地誌課『大日本國全圖』(1881)等の伊能図を基にした正確な地図に採用されました。従って、優秀な地理学者である川上健三氏が『大日本朝鮮支那全図』を無視したのは当然でしょう。もっとも上記3つの地図には、明治政府の見解に従い竹島松島は描かれていません。

    川上健三氏は、yabutarou様が言われたように、鈴木敬作『朝鮮國全圖』(1882)を「伝統的松島(今日の竹島)竹島(欝陵島)の系統」に分類しました。私も、ヤフー掲示板「竹島」(No.17552)で書いた通り、これに同意します。鈴木敬作は、竹島と松島を隠岐国穩地郡に所属させた河井庫太郎『日本地學辭書』(1881)の出版人で跋も書いていますから、竹島は存在せず松島を鬱陵島とした間違った西洋の地図など全く問題にしなかったでしょう。なお、世宗大の保坂祐二教授は、竹島と松島が『朝鮮國全圖』に表記されていることから、鈴木敬作は松島(独島)も朝鮮領とした、と述べました(朝鮮日報2006/10/25)。しかし、むしろ逆に、鈴木敬作は竹島(鬱陵島)までも隠岐国に所属させました。

    ReplyDelete
  15. 測量のミスによって、鬱陵島(竹島)を二つに分け、鬱陵島を松島に比定した、誤りの地図を、いつまでも引き摺っているのは愚かなことです。

    「百年の 時を隔てて 日韓に いさかい残す 測量のミス」(Chaamiey)

    下條正男教授へ
    「日韓に いさかい残す 測量のミス 昔を今に 為すも 虚しく」(arare)

    Chaamiey様ありがとうございました。

    ReplyDelete
  16. arare-san

    "That “Matsushima” is “New Takeshima”, not Ulluengdo, is confirmed by the accounts in “Revised Dictionary on Summary of Japanese Geography (1879)”, which gives a brief explanation by NAGATA Housei of the words used in “OHTSUKI Shuuji: Summary of Japanese Geography”. NAGATA says that Matsushima is 148 ri northwest of the Province and similarly Takeshima 212 ri."

    Absolutely, not. Actually, I think you are totally wrong. You should know by now that Japanese government, MOFA, finally concluded Matsushima(=another island) is Ulleungdo in 1881.

    1881 - Kitazawa Masanari(北澤正誠), a official of MOFA concluded that "Takeshima" is Jukdo in "A Study of Takeshima (Takeshima Kosho 竹島考証) "

    “Revised Dictionary on Summary of Japanese Geography (1879)”seems to be printed in 1879. That is the concrete evidence that Ohtsuki followed the government's recognition that Matsushima is Ulleungdo, not today's Takeshima.

    Please don't get confused with those information. When we talk about Matsushima around this period, we have to be extremely careful about what exactly Matsushima means.

    "太政官指令の「外一島」などを、鬱陵島のことだと「整理」した訳ではありません。"

    In fact, new documents found in Shimane clearly tells that another island in Dajokan Order in 1877 was actually Ulleungdo.

    「竹島外一島之儀本邦関係無之について」再考−明治十四年大屋兼助外一名の「松島開拓願」を中心に−

    Those process, Japanese government concluded that Ulleungdo alone is the Joseon's territory, not Hornet Rocks, which Watanabe Kouki mentioned as Japan's territory, in spite of Shimane's giving them the information on old Matsushima=today's Takeshima, is very strong evidence that Japanese government considered today's Takeshima is not Joseon's territory at all. The revising process of Japanese geographers in those days is also important issue to follow, I guess. And you are doing fabulous job for Japanese side.

    Anyway, as I said, information and resources you are providing us are very important and extremely favourable to Japanese claim against your will. Thanks for that.

    BTW, I think this is the second time I ask you a favour. Could you please send me an original documents for me? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 『大槻修二閲・永田方正編:改正日本地誌要略字引』に、「松島:國ノ西北海上百四十八里ニアリ 竹島:同ク洋中二百十二里ニアリ」

    かいり浬計算だとLianocurtとDageletの組み合わせでは合致せず。

    マイル哩計算だと、DageletとArgonautとの距離に大凡合致しますね。

    ReplyDelete
  18. GTOMRさん

    "マイル哩計算だと、DageletとArgonautとの距離に大凡合致しますね。"

    有難うございます。これ、arareさんから頂いた情報をチェックして、独立した投稿にしましょう。


    arareさん

    12:11 AM のコメントを日本語で書かれていたので読み落としていたようです。失礼しました。資料のご提供、有難うございました。これからもよろしくお願いいたします。

    それにしてもarareさんのおかげで、また大変貴重な資料を見つけることが出来ました。方角だけでなく、距離が明確に記載されていることで松島が鬱陵島であることが確実ですね。


    ”「松嶋・竹嶋ノ兩嶋アリ」を改めなかったことは、大槻修二が「松嶋」を鬱陵島とは決して考えていなかったことを示します。”

    というより、やはり大槻修二が「松嶋」を鬱陵島(の位置にある島)と考えたことを示しているのではないでしょうか。GTOMRさんが証明して下さったとおりです。1889年になっても竹島をアルゴノートをと考えていたのか、鬱陵島としていたのかは資料を精査する必要があると思いますが。

    "ただし彼は、1871年文部省に出仕して初等地理教科書『日本地誌略』などの編集に従事しましたが、1874年弟文彦に家督を譲って隠居、学問(雑学)三昧の生活を送ったそうです。従って、これは明治政府の見解ではないことにご留意ください。"

    そうですね。明治政府の見解は松島(=他一島)は鬱陵島であったことは前述したとおりです。ただし、当時の錯綜した官民の松島認識の変遷を知る上で大変貴重なものだと思います。しかも半月城氏の引用が我田引水であることがさらに明確になりました。

    ところでよろしければこちらの大槻兄弟の情報も、どちらに基づいて書かれたのか、教えて頂けませんか? ネットのいい所は、こうして素人が資料をすぐにシェアできるところだと思いますので、是非ご協力お願いいたします。また、常に出典を示しながらコメントすることで、arareさんに対する信頼も増すと思います。どこまでが引用なのか、推測に基づいた自説なのか、区別がつきません。

    ReplyDelete
  19. arare さん


    >>明治政府は鬱陵島(竹島)に松島という名も認めました。しかし、大槻修二の著書や『日本地誌提要』の「松島」及び太政官指令の「外一島」などを、鬱陵島のことだと「整理」した訳ではありません。

    私は1881年の「内務権大書記官西村捨三発外務書記官あて照会」は太政官指令の「外一島」を、鬱陵島のことだと「整理」したと解釈するのに十分であると考えます。
    「照会」には次のようにあります。

    日本海ニ在ル竹島松島之義ハ「別紙甲号之通」去明治十年中本邦関係無之事ニ伺定相成爾来然カ相心得居候処今般島根県ヨリ「別紙乙号之通」申出候

    次に「照会別紙甲号」にはこのようにあります。

    日本海内竹島外一島地籍編纂方伺(外一島ハ松島ナリ)

    これは言うまでもなく1877年の太政官指令なわけですが、原本には(外一島ハ松島ナリ)の部分がありません。これは内務権大書記官西村捨三が外務書記官が外一島の正体を間違って解釈してしまわないようにあえて書き加えたものと推測できます。

    さらに「照会別紙乙号」にはこのようにあります。

    日本海内松島開墾之儀ニ付伺
     当管内石見国那賀郡浅井邨士族大屋兼助外一名ヨリ松島開墾願書差出シ其旨趣タル

    この松島は開墾できる島である以上鬱陵島であることは明らかです。

    「照会別紙甲号」と「照会別紙乙号」はともに内務権大書記官西村捨三が「日本海ニ在ル竹島松島」の状況を外務書記官に説明するために書いたもの考えられます。
    ここで「照会別紙甲号」を書いた西村捨三の立場にたって考えてください。もし西村捨三が「竹島外一島」の「外一島」たる松島が鬱陵島ではなく現竹島=独島であると考えていたのであればその旨(外一島ハ松島ナリ)の部分に書き加えたはずです。
    なぜならそうしなければ「外一島」たる松島が「照会別紙乙号」の松島=鬱陵島と同じ島であると外務書記官に認識されてしまうのは自明のことであるからです。
    にもかかわらずそうしなかったということは1881年当時西村捨三が「外一島」たる松島は鬱陵島のことであると考えていたからに他なりません。
    西村捨三が内務省に出仕したのが1876年であることと併せて考えれば太政官に「日本海内竹島外一島地籍編纂方伺」を提出した内務省は松島は鬱陵島のことであると考えていたと解釈できます。

    ReplyDelete
  20. >>大槻修二『改正日本地誌要略』(1886)では、松島竹島を「統属なき地」から「朝鮮の属島」と改正しました。

    私はarare さんのこの文章を読んで内藤正中・金柄烈『史的検証竹島・独島』の182pのこちらの文章を思い出しました。

    (内務省は)鬱陵島と独島は日本領ではないという結論を出した。(中略)一八七七年に太政官署理である右大臣岩倉具視の決裁を仰ぐ。このような事情があったからこそ、大槻修二が一八八六年に発刊した『改正日本地誌要略』に。「其(隠岐)西北海上ニ松嶋・竹嶋ノ両嶋アリ。相隔ル殆一百里ニシテ朝鮮ニテ鬱陵島ト称ス、近来定メテ其国ノ属島トナスト云フ」と記されるようになったのであった。

    そこで私はてっきりarare さんも金柄烈氏と同様大槻修二が一八七七年の太政官指令の内容を知った上で太政官指令を根拠に松島竹島を「統属なき地」から「朝鮮の属島」と改正したと主張していらっしゃるのではないかと考えて、大槻修二の文章を時系列順に並べてそのような考えが成り立たたないことを論証してみました。
    arare さんのお考えはそういうものではなかったのでしょうか。私は二階に上がって梯子をはずされたような気分です。
    そもそも明治期の松島竹島認識に関する論争は第一義的に太政官指令の「竹島外一島」の正体に関わるもののはずです。
    にもかかわらず太政官指令を知らなかった人物が太政官指令と無関係に「朝鮮の属島」と改正した『改正日本地誌要略』を持ち出して下條氏の論説を批判したり、「大槻修二は松嶋を鬱陵島とは考えていなかったことを示します」などと主張しても意味がないのではないでしょうか。

    ReplyDelete
  21. >>これには同意できません。確かに大槻修二は、先に述べたように、松島・竹島を朝鮮に接するとまで言っており、朝鮮に近い島と見ていました。しかし彼は、松島と竹島を互いに離れたそれぞれ別々の島と認識していますから、両方鬱陵島を指すダジュレー島とアルゴノート島とは、全く考えていなかったと私は思います。

    arare さんは大槻修二は、松島と竹島を互いに離れたそれぞれ別々の島と認識していたので、両方鬱陵島を指すダジュレー島とアルゴノート島とは考えていなかったとお考えのようです。
    しかしながらこれはダジュレー島とアルゴノート島が両方鬱陵島を指すと言う考え方は1950年に秋岡武次郎が「日本海西南の松島と竹島」なる論文で論証して始めて学会で認定されたものであるという事実を無視しています。大槻修二の生きた時代にはそのような認識は存在していませんでした。
    1855年山路諧孝の「重訂万国全図」日本付近拡大図をご覧になってください。日本海中に「アルゴナウト島即竹島」・「ダゲレト島即松島」とあります。arare さんはこれを見て山路諧孝は松島と竹島を互いに離れたそれぞれ別々の島と認識していたので、両方鬱陵島を指すダジュレー島とアルゴノート島とは考えていなかったとお考えでしょうか。
    現在常識になっている考え方が過去にも常識であったと考えるべきではありません。知識体系・価値観・世界観は時代とともに変化していくものです。こちらでも書きましたが、過去の歴史を正しく理解しようとする者は、現在の我々の価値判断基準で判断するよりも過去の史料に示されている過去の価値判断基準によって判断するべきと考えます。
    このあたりの事情はフランスの哲学者ミシェル・フーコー『知の考古学』を読むとよく理解できると思います。

    ReplyDelete
  22. >>yabutarou様が言われるように、「日本政府が松島竹島を朝鮮領土に認定したこと」は確かです。
    >>この文から吉田東伍は、1886年以後の大槻修二と同様に、松島(現竹島)と竹島(鬱陵島)を明らかに朝鮮の所属と考えていました。

    arare さんは明治十六年の日韓両政府の談判で日本政府が鬱陵島だけでなく現竹島も朝鮮領土に認定したとお考えのようです。
    しかしながら日本政府が朝鮮領土に認定した松島竹島がどの島のことを指しているかについては明治十六年の日韓両政府の談判の当事者の認識を優先すべきと私は考えます。
    明治十六年(1883年)の外務省"朝鮮国所属蔚陵島ヘ我国民渡航禁止ノ件""内達案 "には次のようにあります。

    北緯三十七度三十分東経百三十度四十九分二位スル日本称松島一名竹島朝鮮称鬱陵島ノ儀ハ従前彼我政府ノ議定ノ儀モ有之日本人妄リニ渡航上陸不相成候條心得違ノ者無之様各地方長官に於テ諭達此旨及内達候也

    日本称松島一名竹島朝鮮称鬱陵島とある以上談判の当事者たる外務省は松島を鬱陵島と認識していたのは明らかです。
    にもかかわらず談判の部外者であって当事者の認識と異なっているのが明らかな人物の認識を根拠にして明治十六年の談判で現竹島も朝鮮領土に認定したと主張するのはまるっきり見当違いではないでしょうか。



    >>、奥原碧雲『竹島及鬱陵島』(1907)では、最後の「明に朝鮮の所屬と爲しぬ。」を「明かに、竹島を以て朝鮮の所屬となしぬ。」竹島即ち鬱陵島だけが朝鮮の所属となった、と書き換えました。奥原碧雲の立場としては止むを得なかったでしょう。

    談判の当事者たる外務省が松島を鬱陵島と認識していた以上、鬱陵島だけが朝鮮の所属となった、と書き換えても何の問題もないと思います。むしろ部外者の認識を持ち出して談判で松島たる現竹島が朝鮮領土に認定されたのを知りながら都合が悪かったので奥原碧雲がごまかしたかのごとき解釈のほうが不穏です。arare さんの立場としては止むを得なかったでしょう。

    ReplyDelete
  23. >>しかし、1882年に『大日本四神全圖』を再刻したのは理解に苦しみます。
    >>優秀な地理学者である川上健三氏が『大日本朝鮮支那全図』を無視したのは当然でしょう。
    >>鈴木敬作は、竹島と松島を隠岐国穩地郡に所属させた河井庫太郎『日本地學辭書』(1881)の出版人で跋も書いていますから、竹島は存在せず松島を鬱陵島とした間違った西洋の地図など全く問題にしなかったでしょう


    arare さんは川上健三氏が『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』を無視したのはシーボルトの誤りを未だ訂正しなかった欧米の地図を参考にしたものであって1882年当時にはすでに時代遅れの史料価値のないものであったからであるとお考えのようです。
    私は『竹島の歴史地理学的研究 』については半年位前に読んだきり読んでいないので記憶が曖昧で申し訳ないのですが、たしか1890年代の地図(1894年の清水常太郎の「朝鮮輿地図」???)を取り上げて、1890年代に至ってもなおアルゴノート島を竹島とし、ダジュレー島を松島と誤って記載している地図が存在していたことを指摘した記述があったはずです。(どなたか詳しく知っている人は教えてください。)
    川上氏は1890年代のアルゴノート島を竹島とした地図に言及しているわけですから1882年の『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』が誤った地図だったからという理由で問題にしなかったはずはなく、やはり見ていなかったのだと思われます。
    また1882年当時すでにアルゴノート島を竹島とした地図は存在していなかったという理由で川上氏が1882年の鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』の松島を現竹島=独島であると解釈した可能性も当然ありません。
    川上氏が「西洋の地図の松島竹島系統」に分類した地図はすべて「朝鮮輿地図」のように竹島が西洋の地図のアルゴノート島にそっくりの形をしていて、松島が西洋の地図のダジュレー島すなわち現在の鬱陵島そっくりの形をしている地図であったと記憶しています。
    私は川上氏が鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』を「伝統的松島竹島の系統」に分類したのは松島竹島の形が不定形で曖昧あり、アルゴノート島にもダジュレー島にも似ていなかったからではないかと推測しています。「伝統的松島竹島の系統」に分類され地図はすべて松島竹島の形が不定形で曖昧であったと記憶しています。
    しかしながら鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』の竹島はアルゴノート島の位置にあり、松島はダジュレー島の位置にあります。1882年の『大日本朝鮮支那全図 』に松島竹島のほかにリエンコヲルトロック=現竹島=独島があることと併せて考えれば、鈴木敬作の『朝鮮國全圖』も単に島の形が不定形で曖昧なだけであって、やはり「西洋の地図の松島竹島系統」の地図に分類すべきであったと考えます。
    竹島と松島を隠岐国穩地郡に所属させた河井庫太郎『日本地學辭書』(1881)の出版人で跋も書いている鈴木敬作が、リエンコヲルトロック=現竹島=独島の位置に島を置かずアルゴノート島とダジュレー島の位置に島を描いたのは間違った西洋の地図の影響で本来現竹島であるはずの松島を鬱陵島と勘違いしたからではないでしょうか。

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. まあいずれにせよこのような形で異なる立場の人間が率直で忌憚のない議論を通じて話を煮詰めていくのは大変よいことだと思います。
    竹島の領有権問題はまずは日韓両政府が関与する形で共同研究する場を設けるのがよいと考えます。感情的な対立を煽ってもしょうもないですからね。

    ReplyDelete
  26. みなさん、はじめまして。puracyakaと申します。

    >私は『竹島の歴史地理学的研究』については半年位前に読んだきり読んでいないので記憶が曖昧で申し訳ないのですが、たしか1890年代の地図(1894年の清水常太郎の「朝鮮輿地図」???)を取り上げて、1890年代に至ってもなおアルゴノート島を竹島とし、ダジュレー島を松島と誤って記載している地図が存在していたことを指摘した記述があったはずです。(どなたか詳しく知っている人は教えてください。)

    ”一方においては、海舟図や玉蘭図を踏襲した地図では、さきに指摘したとおり比較的早くから「竹島」はその姿消しているが、他方、この「竹島」(アルゴノート島)の載っている前記系統に属するものは、案外後年まで存しており、明治二十七年(1894年)刊の清水常太郎編「朝鮮輿地図」などは明らかにこの系統の地図である。”(竹島の歴史地理学的研究27ページ)となっています。凄い記憶力ですね。

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kaneganese様

    I think the Meiji government concluded that Takeshima is Ulleungdo and another island (=Matsushima) is an island between Ulleungdo and Oki. I do not understand KITAZAWA Masanari’s conclusion that Takeshima is Jukdo in “A Study of Takeshima (竹島考證)”. Japanese have called Ulleungdo Takeshima since the 16th century.

    According to “A Study of Takeshima”, in 1877 the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs received a petition to open up an island named Matsushima. TANABE Taichi, Head of Communication Bureau, at once, attached a tag, in which he wrote that Matsushima in the petition is Korean Ulleungdo (松島ハ朝鮮ノ欝陵島ニシテ) and it is not within our territory (我版圖中ナラス), so it should be notified that we have no right to permit SAITOU’s petition (斉藤某ノ願意ハ許可スルノ權ナキ旨答フベシ).

    He also interpreted Matsushima as follows: “It is said that Matsushima was named by us Japanese (聞ク松島ハ我邦人ノ命ゼル名ニシテ), but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which belongs to Korean Ulleungdo (其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリト)”. The phrase that “Matsushima” was named by us Japanese suggests that “Matsushima” is neither Ulleungdo nor Jukdo. The name Matsushima to Ulleungdo was given erroneously by P. F. von SIEBOLD, the greatest Japanologist. Jukdo never has been named by us Japanese Matsushima.

    The Meiji government was convinced that “Takeshima” is Ulleungdo and “Matsushima” is “Usan (now Takeshima=Dokdo)” which is located on the way to Ulleungdo from Oki.

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. puracyakaさん

    ようこそ、こちらこそはじめまして。共著者のkaneganeseです。Yahooの掲示板でご活躍されている方と同じと考えてよろしいでしょうか? 

    この度は資料のご教示、ありがとうございました。こうした資料の提供をして下さる方々に支えられています。これからも、どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

    (新しい方がいらしてくださったので、ちょっと投稿についての私の考え等を一度説明しておきます。)

    宣伝など議論に関係ないことでない限り、Gerryがコメントを削除したり、拒否することはありません。ただし、昨年7月にブログが炎上しかけたときに承認制にしたり、不適切な発言のものを一時的に拒否したことはあります。現在はそれもありません。

    また、苦にならない場合は英語で発言していただくと訳す手間が省けて助かりますが、重要なことは私が適宜英語にしたりメールで説明したり、後で英語の投稿にしてまとめてGerryやそのほかのエイゴリアンにも伝わるように努力していきますので、遠慮なく日本語で気軽に議論に参加してください。

    繰り返し述べているように、証拠に基づいた建設的な意見であれば、反対意見も大歓迎です。当然反論しますが。また、思い付きや気付きの段階であっても、断定的でなければ、そしてユニークな切り口をもった視点であれば、是非お聞きしたい、というのが私の姿勢です。皆さんさまざまなバックグラウンドをお持ちで、時々思いもかけない発見があったりすることが、私にとっての竹島研究の魅力かもしれません。嘘は許さないけれど、単純なミスは指摘された時に謝罪して訂正するならば問題にしない、というのが私個人の考えです。

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mr Bevers, there is not one shred of concrete evidence to suggest Jukdo Islet was called “Songjukdo”

    If so, why did Lee Gyu Won call Jukdo Island “Jukdo” in both his report and on his survey map during his inspection? If he thought Jukdo Islet was “Songjukdo” he would have labeled it as such. But he didn’t. In fact, when Lee Gyuwon interviewed the Japanese on the island they told him Ulleungdo was (Songdo) Matsushima. So you are wrong. Lee Gyu Won did not think Jukdo was Songjukdo pre or post survey.

    Bak Seok Chang did not label Jukdo Island and Usando Gerry. He labeled it as “So-Called Usando”
    (所謂于山島) meaning this was his best guess. He also placed the island incorrectly and marked it identically (due East of Dodong) as Jang Han Sang in the Ulleungdo Sa-Jeok. In the Ulleungdo Sajeok both Jukdo and Dokdo were un-named. This means Bak was citing previous inspectors on his map and making his own assumptions based on his very limited knowledge of Ulleungdo.

    I think the term “Songjukdo” was information related to two separate islands (Songdo and Jukdo) and thus it could be two distances are given in that strange quote. One island being near and the other quite distant.

    Previous inspectors called Jukdo Islet “Jukdo”. Japanese maps also called the island Jukdo or Igashima. Previous inspectors called Gwaneumdo by the same name or Bangpae Island. No written surveys conclude Jukdo was Usando.

    Again, using Lee Gyo Won and King Ko-jong’s pre-survey conversation to arrive at any conclusion is just speculation. We don’t even know where Lee Gyu Won got this strange information.

    Arare you are right. The document you are referring to is here:

    Matsushima-Is-Dokdo


    The posters on this forum are using the survey by the Amagi to claim the Japanese excluded Dokdo from Korea but this is wrong. Even after the survey, Kitazawa Masaniari wrongfully concluded that Ulleungdo was Matsushima and Jukdo Islet was the island in question. Thus the Japanese hadn’t really solved the origin of the mapping error (Seibold) We now know Ulleungdo was Takeshima and Matsushima was Dokdo simply mapped in more Westerly locations despite the very confused origin of the mistake.

    So in reality, Japanese showing two islands in the East Sea (Sea of Japan) are not depicting Ulleungdo as a phantom but simply further West that it should be.

    The Takeshima Report had three views of how to handle the issue of Matsushima. Only one of those officials opted that Matsushima should be Japanese. The Home Ministry had already concluded Dokdo was off limits before and they objected. The Foreign Ministry wanted Matsushima based on the premise the Matsushima (Dokdo?) was another island worthy of development or exploitation which was not the case. When no other lucrative territory was to be had, the issue of Matsushima (Dokdo) was dropped. However, when the islet was deemed of military importance during the Russo Japanese War, Komura Jutaro, Kimotsuki Kenko, Yamaza Enjiro, Kiyourga Kiego, all banned together to push forward Nakai Yozaburo’s petition to seize Dokdo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. arare-san

    "I think the Meiji government concluded that Takeshima is Ulleungdo and another island (=Matsushima) is an island between Ulleungdo and Oki."

    Care to present the concrete evidence? All you wrote was just an speculation. As I said twice and yabutarou also explained to you, another island in 1877 Order was already identified as Ulleungdo by the exchanged letters among Shimane, Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Foreigne Affairs from 1881-1882.

    「内務権大書記官西村捨三発外務書記官あて照会」 and Shimane Prefectural Orders

    I haven't posted English version yet, since there are too many things to be explained prior to this important post, or English readers can't fully understand the meaning of those exchanged letters. But you read Japanese, then you should be fully aware that this another island used in 1877 Dajokan Order was Ulleungdo, not Liancourt Rocks by now.

    In 1877, Meiji government seems to have avoided to define which island the other island is. However, one thing is clear that Meiji government were only concerned with and talking about the islands which can be reclaimed, not a infertile two barren rocks in the middle of the sea of Japan. That is why both Ministry of Interior and Foreign Affairs didn't get concerned with ancient Matsushima(=Liancourt Rocks) since they are apparently uninhabitable and waterless as Shimane informed. I think this is very important to note that Meiji government excluded ancient Matsushima from the Order in which is defined the islands which don't belong to Japan.

    In Kitazawa's Takeshima Kosho, Watanabe Kouki clearly said that if what we call Matsushima is called "Hornet Rocks" by westerners, it is Japan's.

    "Many records say that “Argonaut,” which is the Western name for Takeshima (Ulleungdo), does not exist, and that “Dagelet,” which refers to Matsushima, is actually Takeshima (Ulleungdo). So what we call "Matsushima” (Liancourt Rocks) is called “Hornet Rocks” by Westerners. Foreign maps show Hornet Rocks to be Japanese territory, but there is still no agreement among countries concerning the other two islands."

    On the other hand, Tanabe couldn't identify which island this Matsushima is.

    "After that, we can compare writings, maps, and documents to finally determine if Matsushima is a part of Ulleungdo (蔚陵島), if it is Usan, or if it is an ownerless island. "

    If you insist that Usando in Tanabe's opinion is Liancourt rocks, you owe the responsibility to prove this Tanabe's Usando really meant Liancourt Rocks.

    In fact, Usan/Usando was Korea's old name of Ulleungdo, and it became the name of Jukdo, a Ulleungdo's neighbouring island after they started the inspection on Ulleungdo. Around 1850s, Usando again started flying or missing from their maps. 金正浩's maps are a good example. And in 1882, inspector Lee Gyu-won said "Usando is just Ulleungdo. Usan is just the name of the capital for the old country of Usan." Usando again re-emerge on maps and documents around the very end of 19C, but they were plotted as old Usando in the location of Jukdo. There is no single proof which shows Usando is Liancourt Rocks. As you can see, Usan/Usando had never ever be a Liancourt Rocks. They only exist in Korean's mind.

    The misunderstanding that U(Ja)sando is Japan's Matsushima " only started by Ahn's inconsistent false claim.

    I have already presented all the evidence I have stated above on this blog, so you can check them on 日本語インデックス

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kaneganese, you are being very slick by citing Watane Kouki. You are wrongfully using his quote to say Japan as a nation thought Dokdo was Japanese. This is wrong on a few points.

    First. Watanabe had wrong territorial perceptions of the East Sea (Sea of Japan) He thought there were three islands in the sea, which we know is wrong.

    Watanabe Kuoki was a greedy expansionst. He stated “even if this Matsushima is Korean we should protect it.” In other words, he wanted to exert Japanese military influence over territories that weren’t even Japanese.

    Watanabe Kuoki was wrong and when their was no third island. The issue was dropped and all maps of Shimane Prefecture post 1877 showed no islands West of Oki Island.

    The other island in the 1877 report was Dokdo not Ulleungdo.

    Couldn’t you read the attached map? It shows Ulleungdo and Dokdo in location and form. In this chart which was appended to the inquiry. There was no question at all.

    In the attached map, Takeshima was Ulleungdo and Matsushim was Dokdo.

    Dokdo is Matsushima

    Anyongbok’s Usando was not a misunderstanding. He clearly stated Ulleungdo and Dokdo were Korean land and the Japanese complied in 1696 by declaring the region off-limits to Japanese. This was further clarified to include Dokdo in 1837 with the Takeshima trespassing incident.

    In other words, Japan had already ceded BOTH Ulleungdo and Dokdo by 1837. It was the mapping errors by Seibold and greedy expansionist Meiji Japan that were to blame for their annexation of Dokdo. So whatever, may have happened after 1837 Japan had already deemed Dokdo as Korean.

    Kaneganese it seems you concede Japan has no historical claim to Dokdo prior to 1905.

    Well, it’s a start anyway. When you can admit that Japan’s 1905 annexation of Dokdo was a greedy expansionist land-grab then tell your buddies at Japan’s MOFA to drop their silly demands to draw the Japan~Korea border back to the colonial era

    ReplyDelete
  32. 疑問があるのですが、

    第二十壹號 松島巡視要否ノ議 公信局長 田邊太一のところで、
    聞くが如きは「松島ハ我邦人ノ命セル名ニシテ其實ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ屬スル于山」
    といっています。となるとこの彼の「聞いた話」である、于山が属する主島は蔚陵島である”竹島”であると推測されますが、

    しかし、何故、竹島は、『所謂竹島』なのでしょうか?

    ReplyDelete
  33. puracyakaさん

    ”この「竹島」(アルゴノート島)の載っている前記系統に属するものは、案外後年まで存しており、明治二十七年(1894年)刊の清水常太郎編「朝鮮輿地図」などは明らかにこの系統の地図である。”

    やはり私の記憶は間違っていなかったようです。よかった。。


    ”一方においては、海舟図や玉蘭図を踏襲した地図では、さきに指摘したとおり比較的早くから「竹島」はその姿消しているが、”

    ここのところは重要です。arare さんが指摘されたように”武田勝次郎『大日本朝鮮支那全図』(1882)は橋本玉蘭『大日本四神全圖』(1871)と殆ど同じ”なのにもかかわらず、川上氏は”玉蘭図を踏襲した地図では、比較的早くから「竹島」はその姿消している”と書いてますから、1882年になってもなお『大日本朝鮮支那全図』のように竹島松島のほかに「リエンコヲルトロック」のある地図が存在していたことを知らなかったようです。


    凄い記憶力ですね。

    ありがとうございます。某韓国に帰化した元日本人のようにいくら本を読んでも字面(じづら)を追っているだけで分かったような気分になっているだけではすぐに忘れてしまうどころかそもそも何も理解できていないものですが、その文章が何を意味しているかを深く考えながら読んでいけば、大まかな部分は結構忘れないものです。こうゆうのは暗記力とは無関係です。必要なときに必要な情報を脳内から引き出すことができるのはむしろ読解力のなせる技です。

    ReplyDelete
  34. By the way Kaneganese, when the Japanese undertook their study of Ulleungdo they did a detailed comprehensive study of Ulleungdo’s (Takeshima) and Dokdo’s history (Matsushima) The Japanese did an analysis of records BOTH Korean and Japanese. These records went back far beyond the mapping confusion era to the very earliest Japanese records of Ulleungdo.

    Tanabe Taiichi stated:

    "It is said that Matsushima (Dokdo) was named by us Japanese, but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which is part of (attached to) Ulleungdo of Chosun (Korea). During our 舊정부 (government) era it was proven through an exchange of documents that Ulleungdo belonged to Chosun and we confirmed that Ulleungdo was not Japanese territory, which is stated in both of our countries' historical records...."

    It’s not important whether or not Matsushima was Dokdo (Usando) in the record. What we know is that Matsushima is NOT Ulleungdo because he describes them as different.

    Secondly Tanabe Taiichi cites the Anyongbok era in which Japan ceded Ulleungdo (Takeshima) These records predated the mapping confusion era by over 150 years.

    This leaves us the question what was Matsushima? Well there was no other island adjacent to Chosun’s Ulleungdo that the Japanese consistently referred to as Matsushima, other than Dokdo.

    So in reality, the onus is on these Japanese “historians” to put forth concrete evidence that Meiji era Japanese were referring to another Matsushima in both maps and documents that clearly declare Dokdo as Chosun territory. Simply trying to cast doubts without a plausible alternative is not an option here.


    GMTOR that link you gave is a joke.

    Oh well, simple explanations for simple people I guess

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kaneganese様

    I present more concrete evidence that Takeshima is Ulleungdo and another island (Matsushima) is located on the way to Ulleungdo from Oki.

    In the year 1876 the Japanese Ministry of Interior inquired to Shimane Prefecture detailed information of Takeshima to compile the cadastre. Shimane Prefecture sent some documents and a map concerning Takeshima and another island to the Ministry of Interior.

    The first part of a document “General History of Takeshima” is translated by Mr. pacifist as follows: “Isotakeshima is also called Takeshima. It is located 120 ri (480 km) northwest of Oki county, and its circumference is about 10 ri (40 km).” Subsequently, the document describes in detail topography and production of Takeshima.

    After that, it writes as follows: Next, there is “another island” called Matsushima that has a circumference of about 30 cho. It is located on the same line as Takeshima and is a distance of about 80 ri from Oki. There are few plants, but it produces fish and sea animals.

    The document “General History of Takeshima” submitted to the Ministry of Interior says evidently that “another island” called Matsushima is not definitely the same island as Takeshima. The attached map depicts Takeshima 40 ri northwest of Matsushima, too.

    Logically Takeshima (Ulleungdo) and “another island” (Matsushima) represent two separate islands and “another island” is not identified as Ulluengdo.

    The Meiji government in 1877 declared that Takeshima and “another island” are not Japanese Territory, judging from these documents and map.

    Kaneganese様 you wrote “another island in 1877 Order was already identified as Ulleungdo by the exchanged letters among Shimane, Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Foreigne Affairs from 1881-1882.”

    But I cannot find why “another island” was identified as Ulleungdo in“杉原隆:「竹島外一島之儀本邦関係無之について」再考―明治十四年大屋兼助外一名の「松島開拓願」を中心に―”.

    Open-minded Meiji government tolerated the use of SIEBOLD’s erroneous name Matsushima to Ulleungdo. Thus, I think OHYA simply made an application to develop Ulleungdo using the name Matsushima.

    ReplyDelete
  36. arare-san

    It is understandable that you are confused and unable to understand Mr. Sugihara's article enough. Even for me, it took almost few days to understand what those documents says. But if you read throughly, you'd understand Matsushima is island which can be "reclaimed". This completerly rules out the possibility of Liancourt Rocks. In fact, they are not interested in the barren rocks in the middle of the sea of Japan.

    Well then, Could you please exlpain why do you think Matsushima in Nishimura and other's documents? Maybe, it'll tell you you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  37. arare-san

    By the way, do you have any relationship with Mr. Park, a.k.a. half-moon? If so, what kind? What about Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Kaneganese様

    一名松島一名竹嶋朝鮮鬱陵島の件ですね。

    戦艦天城以前にすでに外一島が太政官指令により確定されていたならば、
    井上馨や西村や桧垣、赤塚などの見解と矛盾します。
    また、竹島松島と題名に書けばよい話です。竹島外一島と、一文字余計に書く意義はありません。

    竹島考証にも書かれていますが、戦艦天城の調査によって、
    此ヨリ後復タ竹島ノコト言フ者ナシ、其後奧州ノ人武藤一學、下總ノ人齊藤七郞兵衛等浦塩斯德ニ往來シ、竹島ノ外別ニ 松島ナル者アリト唱ヒ、瀨脇壽人ニヨリテ渡海ノコトヲ請フ、於是竹島松島一島?名、或ハ別ニ二島アルノ?紛、紜決セス、遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル、甲乙兵丁ノ ?ノ如シ、雖然其事中止セリ、明治十三年天城艦ノ松島ニ廻航スルニ及ヒ其地ニ至リ測量シ始テ松島ハ蔚陵島ニシテ、其他竹島ナル者ハ一個ノ巖石タルニ過キサ ルヲ知リ事始テ了然タリ、然ルトキハ今日ノ松島ハ即チ元禄十二年稱スル所ノ竹島ニシテ、古來我版圖外ノ地タルヤ知ルヘシ
    と結論されていること。

    また、天城以前には、松島Dageletが、鬱陵島であるか確信に至らないんです。
    それを確定させたのが戦艦天城の調査ですから。
    それは官製の地図の変遷を整理するとわかります。
    天城以前は、松島は松島Dageletで、鬱陵島とは確定されてはおらず、
    天城以降に松島(鬱陵島)が正式に記載される運びとなります。

    ReplyDelete
  39. GTOMRさん

    官製地図の変遷の視点からの説明有難うございます。表も拝見しました。随分充実して、素晴らしいです。arareさんについては、せっかく良い資料を持って来てユニークな視点から議論して下さっていたのに、yabutarouさんに論破されてから、彼が壊れたレコードのようになってしまったので、非常に残念に思ったことと、ちょっとめんどくさくなって質問には質問返しで適当にあしらってしまいました。

    というのも、来年できるだけ早い時期に、この杉原先生のレポートを英語で投稿する予定です。arareさんにはそちらで議論して頂きたく思っています。ただ、この頃の朝鮮との関係を日本の外交文書から見る視点で書いて説明してから、行おうと思っています。島根の地籍伺が単なる添付資料の一つで、その他の全ての資料をあわせて考える必要があることを明確に証明するためには、仰るとおり、井上馨らのことも交えて考える必要があります。自由新聞の件もそれに含まれますが、かなり長いシリーズになりそうです。

    GTOMRさんの資料も、よく検討して是非採用したいと思います。又、メール等でご相談させて下さい。

    2009.12.17

    ReplyDelete
  40. Steve Barber様

    I almost agree with you.

    But I do not think WATANABE Kouki was a greedy expansionist. He was a realistic nationalist. Returning to Japan in 1876 from Vienna, WATANABE had no accurate knowledge of Takeshima and Matsushima, so his opinions were illogical, but he did not persist in them.

    When some petitions to open up Matsushima (Ulleungdo) were applied to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, WATANABE Kouki (1848-1901) proposed that we need urgently to dispatch a ship to inspect the Matsushima area, where English and Russian warships are frequently seen. But TANABE Taichi (1831-1915), who firmly believed Takeshima (Ulleungdo) and Matsushima (Usan) to be Korean islands, objected strongly to the inspection of Matsushima which is “like counting furtively stranger’s treasure”.

    Then it seems that WATANABE withdrew his proposal accepting TANABE’s opinion. Even KITAZAWA Masanari, whom WATANABE requested to compile diplomatic documents, wrote in “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima” (竹島考證) that the Matsushima inspection was stopped as a result of the dispute.

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Kaneganese様

    It is a great honor to be questioned any relationship with Mr. Park, a.k.a. half-moon. I have a deep respect for Mr. PARK Byoung-sup.

    I am very impressed with his comprehensive knowledge and sound logic on the belief that Takeshima and Matsushima are Korean islands.

    But I differ with him on some minor points. Please read 「ヤフー掲示板竹島Nos. 15715, 15720, 15815, 15816, 15893, 15914, 15927, 15931」.

    TSUKAMOTO Akitake (塚本明毅), who much contributed to civilization and enlightenment of Japan as a nationalist and technocrat, described Matsushima and Takeshima as the islands attached to the Oki Province in “Summary of Geographical Records of Japan (日本地誌提要)” published in 1878. Therefore, I thought that he attempted to take these two islands in Japanese territory. Finally TSUKAMOTO recognized Matsushima and Takeshima as Korean territory, however.

    Thanks for your deep interest.

    2009/12/24

    ReplyDelete
  42. Arare wrote:

    But I do not think WATANABE Kouki was a greedy expansionist. He was a realistic nationalist. Returning to Japan in 1876 from Vienna, WATANABE had no accurate knowledge of Takeshima and Matsushima, so his opinions were illogical, but he did not persist in them.

    Actually, Watanabe Kouki's letter described the situation almost perfectly.

    Watanabe said that if the Matsushima being talked about was Ulleungdo, then it belonged to Korea, but that if it were not Ulleungdo, then it must belong to Japan. It turned out that the Matsushima being petitioned for was, indeed, Ulleungdo. See HERE.

    Watanabe also seemed to understand the island confusion on many maps at the time, as you can see from the following excerpt from his letter:

    Many records say that “Argonaut,” which is the Western name for Takeshima (Ulleungdo), does not exist, and that “Dagelet,” which refers to Matsushima, is actually Takeshima (Ulleungdo). So what we call "Matsushima” (Liancourt Rocks) is called “Hornet Rocks” by Westerners. Foreign maps show Hornet Rocks to be Japanese territory, but there is still no agreement among countries concerning the other two islands.

    The above described the situation perfectly.

    Also, there was no mention that Watanabe withdrew his proposal. The inspection of Ulleungdo was delayed until 1880 because of continuing debate, which was why the name "Matsushima" was not used in the 1877 development request denial.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gerry Bevers様 

    Thank you for your comment.

    I wrote: But I do not think WATANABE Kouki was a greedy expansionist. He was a realistic nationalist. Returning to Japan in 1876 from Vienna, WATANABE had no accurate knowledge of Takeshima and Matsushima, so his opinions were illogical, but he did not persist in them.

    I think that’s the truth.

    WATANABE did not understand Japanese had the right, accurate knowledge that Takeshima is Korean Ulleungdo and Matsushima is a separate island located on the way to Takeshima from Oki.

    On the other hand, he seems to have been familiar enough with the false, vague views of Westerners.

    WATANABE says that if the Matsushima being talked about was Ulleungdo, then it belonged to Korea, but that if it were not Ulleungdo, then it must belong to Japan, though it is still inconclusive.

    That is wrong almost perfectly. The Tokugawa Shogunate renounced Japan’s rights not only to Takeshima, but also to Matsushima.

    In the years of 1876 to 1878 some petitions to open up Ulleungdo using SIEBOLD’s erroneous name Matsushima were submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

    Then, TANABE Taichi, elder official of MOFA, wrote that the Matsushima of the petitions is Korean Ulleungdo and not within our territory, so we have no right to permit the petitions.

    He also understood clearly that Matsushima was named by us Japanese, but the real name of this island is Usan which is attached to Korean Ulleungdo.

    But WATANABE Kouki, Director of the Bureau of Documents, proposed urgently to inspect the Matsushima and to determine under whose jurisdiction it belongs.

    Thus it is entirely natural that TANABE objected strongly to the inspection of Matsushima, as “counting furtively stranger’s treasure”.

    In “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima (竹島考證) ” the following was written: Finally the Matsushima inspection was proposed, which includes the arguments Kou, Otsu, Hei, and Tei(遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ); however, the Matsushima inspection was stopped(雖然其事中止セリ).

    2010/01/07

    ReplyDelete
  44. Arare,

    TANABE Taichi did not seem to know anything about Liancourt Rocks and seemed to based his opinion simply on the name "Matushima" (松島) and the fact that An Yong-bok had said Matsushima was Usando (于山島). Koreans, themselves, determined that Usando was Ulleungdo's neighboring island of Jukdo, which is only two kilometers off Ulleungdo's east shore. Both Korean and Japanese maps showed Usando as a neighboring island of Ulleungdo, not as Liancourt Rocks, so Tanabe was probably just basing his opinion on An Yong-bok saying Matsushima was Usando and old maps showing Usando as Ulleungdo's neighboring island of Jukdo, which, again, was not Liancourt Rocks.

    The petition said that "Matsushima" was covered in pine trees, so if Tanabe had known anything about Liancourt Rocks, he would have know that the Matsushima in the petition could not have Liancourt Rocks since they were just barren rocks with no trees.

    Watanabe, on the other hand, knew about "Argonaut" and the map confusion and suspected that the Matsushima mentioned in the petition was Ulleungdo, not Liancourt Rocks. Watanabe also knew about Liancourt Rocks (Hornet Rocks) and believed them to be Japanese territory (HERE).

    Tanabe's opinion (HERE) to just accept An Yong-bok's claim that "Matsushima is Usando" without determining exactly where the Matsushima in the petition was located was irrational and wrong, as the 1880 survey of Ulleungdo proved HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gerry Bevers様

    TANABE Taichi wrote: Matsushima was named by us Japanese, but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which is attached to Korean Ulleungdo.

    The above, simple and substantial, passage described the situation perfectly.

    The phrase that Matsushima was named by us Japanese excludes the possibility of Ulleungdo and Jukdo from Matsushima. Ulleungdo has been called by us Japanese Takeshima. Jukdo seems to have been named by the OHYA family Manoshima (マノ島), as shown on the map sent by Shimane Prefecture.

    TANABE’s opinion that Takeshima is Korean Ulleungdo and Matsushima which is attached to Ulleungdo is Usan located on the way to Ulleungdo from Oki, and that both islands are not Japanese territory, is rational and right.

    On the other hand, in his last 22nd document of “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima, 3rd Vol. (竹島考證、下巻)”, WATANABE Kouki concluded as follows: We have to investigate and ask these prefectures if Matsushima is a neighboring island, if Takeshima and Matsushima are the same island, or if they are different islands. Then we can clearly know if Matsushima is a genuine island of Japan, if it is Takeshima, or if it is a small, neighboring island of Takeshima. Also, we can determine the island's correct position and learn its current situation and details of its past.

    He did not seem to understand thoroughly the situation of Takeshima and Matsushima.

    2010/01/13

    ReplyDelete
  46. arare,

    "The above, simple and substantial, passage described the situation perfectly. "

    No, Tanabe's opinion was not substantial, nor perfect at all. It was based on extremely superficial, out-of-date information, which was obtained from the incident more than 150 years ago. He even said that he only had heard this. Besides, your explanation is illogical and doesn't give us any hard evidence that Tanabe's opinion was based on Shimane's map. Tanabe didn't mention anything about the map submitted by Shimane in his opinion.

    "Whether the island should be opened can be discussed another time, but today we should debate the merits of an inspection. I have heard that Japanese use the name "Matsushima," but the actual name is "Usan," which is part of Joseon's Ulleungdo (蔚陵島). Concerning Joseon's ownership of Ulleungdo (蔚陵島), there was a dispute during the old government (Tokugawa) when, after exchanging several documents to support our claims, we agreed to give it up, a fact that is permanently written in our two histories. To dispatch someone to inspect without any reason is like counting another treasure, and trespassing into a neighbor's territory."

    As Gerry said, Tanabe only reiterated Korean old documents which rooted in Ahn's inconsistent testimony that Usando was Japanese Matsushima. But I have already showed that his Japan's Matsushima=Jasando could not be today's Takeshima of Japan.


    1696 - Ahn's so-called Matsushima/Usando was Jukdo, afterall. (元禄九丙子年朝鮮舟着岸一巻之覚書 肅宗実録 30卷, 22年 戊寅)


    As we know, Tokugawa Shogunate and Joseon never ever had any negotiation concerning Usan(do) nor Matsushima. They simply talked about Ulleungdo. Besides, if there is any adjacent island "Usan" to Ulleungdo as Tanabe says, it should be Jukdo(竹嶼) "which is part of Joseon's Ulleungdo (蔚陵島)", not ancient Matsushima, according to your logic, since Jukdo is on Shimane's map depicted as adjacent to Ulleungdo, but not ancient Matsushim. See? Your logic doesn't reach to anywhere as long as there is lies included. You are trapped in a vicious circle. Truth is, as Tanabe wrote, Usan was Ulleungdo's old name. Korean are confused if Usan(do) and Ulleungdo were two islands or one islands. Korean recognized and started to describe Usando as Jukdo, east to Ulleungdo, only after Tokugawa Shogunate and Joseon negotiated.

    We can conclude, from Tanabe's opinion, that he didn't understand any modernized location of Usando at all. On the other hand, Watanabe clearly recognized the location of Liancourt Rocks/Hornet Rocks, presenting many maps, Gazettes etc.. And most importantly, he knew that Hornet Rocks/Liancourt Rocks was Japanese territory.

    "Also, an island which is 1.5 ri around is drawn at the southernmost position in the map. This would be 于人島. When distances were measured using original maps, distances between Oki islands and Matsushima, Takeshima and Chosun are almost consistent. "

    "So what we call "Matsushima” (Liancourt Rocks) is called “Hornet Rocks” by Westerners. Foreign maps show Hornet Rocks to be Japanese territory, but there is still no agreement among countries concerning the other two islands."

    ReplyDelete
  47. As the name of Matsushima were confused, the name and the location of Usan(do) in Meiji was also confused. In fact, as Watanabe said, many Japanese maps from late Edo to early Meiji described Usando much nearer to Choson peninsula than Ulleungdo, like Korean did in 八道総図. It is very dangerous to patch and darn the name of the island (Usando, Takeshima and Matsushima) to identify the real identity of the island in Meiji era.

    From GTOMR's site;

    1872.「朝鮮国地理図(抄)」:明治5年(1872)写【178-692】
    http://www.pref.shimane.lg.jp/soumu/web-takeshima/takeshima04/takeshima04_01/takeshima04d.html
    鬱陵島の西に同じような大きさで于山島が記載 (朝鮮の地圖模写?)


    1873.「朝鮮全図」 海軍水路寮 明治6年
    http://www.geocities.jp/tanaka_kunitaka/takeshima/chosenzenzu-1873/
    鬱島と、その西に、鬱陵島より大きな亐山島カイサン島が記載 (朝鮮地圖系統)


    1874.(官許)「五畿八道朝鮮細見全図出」
    http://www.lib.kobe-u.ac.jp/directory/sumita/5C-270/basic/5C-270.html
    鬱陵島の西に、若干小さく西の傍らに亐山島が記載。


    1874清十八省輿地全図 津田静一
    鬱陵島と、その南西に、同じ大きさで于山島が記載


    1875『佐田白茅著 改訂新鐫朝鮮全図』(外務省)
    http://www.geocities.jp/tanaka_kunitaka/takeshima/kaiteishinsenchosenzenzu-1875/
    名無しの島が、恐らくは鬱陵島と、その南西傍らに小さな亐山島?と思われる名無しの島が記載。


    1876頃か?「朝鮮国全図」瀬脇壽人・校;金麟昇音)(ウラジオストック駐在官)
    http://www.lib.meiji.ac.jp/perl/ashida/search_detail?detail_sea_param=loc,6,1,0
    鬱陵島と、その西に同じような大きさで/亐山島カイサン島が記載される。

    arare, Gerry knows what Watanabe wrote in the documents. You can't trick/drag him into your poor logic.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kaneganese様

    TANABE Taichi wrote: Matsushima was named by us Japanese, but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which is attached (or belonged) to Korean Ulleungdo (松島ハ我邦人ノ命ゼル名ニシテ其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリ).

    I show again that the above, simple and substantial, passage described perfectly the situation at the time of Takeshima and Matsushima.

    Kaneganese様, “Japanese use the name Matsushima” (松島ハ我邦人ノ命ゼル名ニシテ) does not translate accurately. TANABE, who wrote “Matsushima was named by us Japanese”, seems to understand the mistake of SIEBOLD.

    In the years of 1876 to 1878, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs received several petitions opening up Matsushima, but the truth was Ulleungdo, which was erroneously named by SIEBOLD Matsushima. Because Ulleungdo has never been named by us Japanese Matsushima but Takeshima, the Western maps which identified Ulleungdo as Matsushima, were wrong evidently.

    But WATANABE Kouki attempted to inspect Ulleungdo assuming the false name Matsushima, because he clearly recognized Takeshima or Ulleungdo as Korean territory.

    TANABE seems to be disgusted with the shameless proposals for the inspection and development of Ulleungdo. He knew the Shogunate renounced Japan’s rights not only to Takeshima, but also to Matsushima.

    TANABE was also very familiar with Chinese letters books. He seems to have known Usan from “History of Koryo (高麗史)”. It wrote: Usan and Muleung are originally two islands and the distance between them is not so far to each other. Thus we can see Usan from Muleung on a windy, clear day (于山武陵本二島相距不遠風日淸明則可望見).

    In MOFA it is said that TANABE has never taken conspicuous action as a subject of old Tokugawa shugunate. SAKATA Seiichi wrote: Since he served the Meiji government, TANABE always aimed at keeping silent and having nothing to do with its policy (明治政府に出仕してからの田辺は常に沈黙無為を旨とし、政府の施政に吾不関焉の態度をとることが多かった), quoted from “Commentary on TANABE Taichi: Diplomatic Documents of the Last Days of Tokugawa Government (坂田精一:解説,田辺太一:幕末外交談,平凡社, 1966)”.

    I am greatly interested, however, to note that TANABE argued against the inspection and development of Matsushima by hot and forcible words.

    He concluded the arguments of Matsushima inspection as follows: Absolutely we cannot and should not open up Matsushima (松島断シテ開ク能ワス又開クベカラス). To inspect it while knowing the development of Matsushima is impossible and illegal, would be extremely unbeneficial (其不能不可ヲ知テコレヲ巡視スル豈無益ナラサランヤ). Moreover, it would cause harm later (況ヤ後害ヲ醸サントスルオヤ).

    I am indebted to the excellent translation by Mr. Gerry Bevers of “21st document in A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima, 3rd Vol. (竹島考證,下巻,第二十壱号)”.

    Thank you very much.

    2010/01/21

    ReplyDelete
  49. arare

    No, You are wrong again. The passage doesn't describe the situation around Meiji era at all. It is very old knowledge from Joseon. Japanese in Meiji era called Ulleungdo , which can be reclaimed, but Japanese until Edo called Liancourt Rock as Matsushima, not Usan= Jukdo. It is Ahn Yong-bok who testified Japanese called Usan as Matsushima, not Japanese. If you connect Usan with Liancourt Rocks, you are obliged to prove Usan to be today's Takeshim=Licanrourt Rocks. Usan had never been Liancourt Rocks, while it had been Ulleungdo's another name and Usando was identified by Ulleungdo Inspector as today's Jukdo, the adjacent island of Ulleungdo, not Liancourt Rocks.

    Don't get tricked by Ahn's inconsistent testimony.

    Japanese, even thos officials, confused with the situation of Takeshima and Matsushima, but at least Watanabe clearly recognized Hornet Rocks, which is Lancourt Rock's another name, was depicted as Japan's on western maps. This is the correct the situation after the Takeshima Incident in 1696. Tanabe's opinion was extremely shallow, one-sided and out-of-date from the end of 17th century, while Watanabe had a wealth of knowledge based on up-to-date information from numerous books and gazetteers from western scientific arena. Notice he cited the island of Dagelet with longitude and latitude. As for Usando, he identified Usando on western maps, which is affected by Chinese maps, as non-Liancourt Rocks.

    Just as you had quoted, Tanabe's so-called Matsushima was also meant Ulleungdo, since even he said "Never ever reclaim Matsushima. (松島断シテ開ク能ワス又開クベカラス)". Naturally, this sentence clearly tells us that Tanabe's Usan=Japanese Matsushima was Ulleungdo, not Liancourt Rocks. As I'm telling you thousand times, Matsushima they were talking about was Ulleungdo, the isalnd which can be reclamed, not Liancourt Rocks, the barren rocks in the middle of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Kaneganese, you are the one who is confused here.

    What Tanabe did was simple. He compared Japanese maps and records showing two islands in the East Sea (Sea of Japan) with Korean maps and records showing the same. From there Tanabe made the logical conclusion Usando was what Japanese called Matsushima (Dokdo).

    Whether Tanabe was right or wrong is a moot point because gives us a clear picture of Japanese territorial perceptions of the late 19th Century. In the end, it was Tanabe’s opinion that dictated foreign policy and won the day. Japan excluded Dokdo from all maps and records until Oki Region expanded her territory during the Russo Japanese War of 1905.

    So, as you see Kuoki’s incorrect perceptions of a possible third island in the East Sea lost out.

    All Japanese maps post 1877, pre 1905 show Japan did not consider Dokdo as her territory. This is dispite the fact tiny minor outlying islands such as Minoshima, Izu Seven Islnads, the Ogasawaras and Ryukyus were included. Thus Japan thought Dokdo was appended to Chosun’s Ulleungdo explaining why records listed the islets under Gangwando province of Korea.

    Play the silly island confusion game all you want Kaneganese. It won’t hide the fact Japan consistently and deliberately omitted Dokdo from her land until the island was seized during the largest war of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  51. steven b様

    Yes, TANABE won the day and prevented the diplomatic conflict between Korea.

    TANABE’s opinion in “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima” that “first of all we must strive to raise and stabilize our country, and we will gain nothing by flaming Chosun and causing disorder (現今ノ務方ニ国脉ヲ静養スルニアリ鮮ヲ煎テコレヲ擾ス計ノ淂ルモノナラス)” was right. It was accepted by the Meiji government.

    I think TANABE knew the Dajoukan order in March 1877 that “our country has nothing to do with Takeshima and another island called Matsushima”.

    TANABE Taichi (1831-1915) was a lifelong friend with SUGIURA Yuzuru (杉浦譲; 1835-1877), Head of Geography Bureau of the Ministry of Interior, who was responsible for the compilation of the cadastre. TANABE taught him in Shogunate’s school of Kofu (甲府徽典館). TANABE also went with SUGIURA as members of the Embassies to France in the years of 1864 and 1867. In 1870 SUGIURA became an official in the Meiji government helped by TANABE and SHIBUSAWA Eiichi (渋沢栄一). After his death in August 1877 by overwork in surveying forests of the Chubu district, TANABE wrote SUGIURA’s epitaph.

    Kaneganese様, I would like to introduce TANABE’s personality.

    SHIBA Ryoutarou (司馬遼太郎), one of the most famous historian and novelist in Japan, wrote in “As Flying (翔ぶが如く)”:“TANABE was no brave man. Whether or not diplomacy needs the braves is debated. For example, however, it was not TANABE’s character by nature that he has rudeness as deciding the opening of hostilities in the course of the negotiation with Ching. OHKUBO respected this TANABE. Sometimes, he called respectfully ‘Teacher TANABE’.(田辺は勇士ではなかった。外交に勇士というものが必要なのかどうかは別として、たとえば清国との交渉において開戦を決意するなどという粗暴さは田辺の持ち味ではない。大久保はこの田辺を尊敬していた。ときに、『田辺先生』と、鄭重によびかけた。)”.

    Then, OHKUBO Toshimichi (大久保利通) continued the negotiation, and brought it to the successful conclusion in October 31st of the year 1874.

    ReplyDelete
  52. arare,

    TANABE’s personality has nothing to do with this debate. And please do not bring up with novelist SHIBA Ryoutarou (司馬遼太郎). So stupid, I would say. I like his novels a lot, but it is well-known that what he wrote is not always historically true.

    As I said, what Tanabe said was practically proves that Usan was Ulleungdo. Read carefully what he wrote.

    "Never ever reclaim Matsushima. (松島断シテ開ク能ワス又開クベカラス)".

    Naturally, this sentence clearly tells us that Tanabe's Usan=Japanese Matsushima was Ulleungdo, which can be reclaimed, not Liancourt Rocks, uninhabitable barren rocks.

    And against Tanabe's insist, in 1880, Warship Amagi was sent to Ullleungdo=Usan for survey and found Matsushima was Ullengdo and Takeshima was Jukdo. So Kitazawa finally concluded that Matsushima was Ulleungdo and Takeshima was Argonaut.

    Apparently, Tanabe's old, unchanged and out-of-date opinion was ignored and he lost. On the other hand, Watanabe's global, up-to-date and objective opinion was employed.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Kaneganese様

    TANABE wrote: Matsushima was named by us Japanese, but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which is belonged to Korean Ulleungdo (松島ハ我邦人ノ命ゼル名ニシテ其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリ).

    The above was written when MOFA received several petitions opening up Ulleungdo assuming SIEBOLD’s erroneous name Matsushima.

    Please read carefully what TANABE wrote. Naturally, this passage clearly tells us that the real Matsushima is Usan which is belonged to Korean Ulleungdo.

    On the other hand, WATANABE’s opinion that we need to inspect Matsushima and to determine under whose jurisdiction it belongs was ignored and he lost out.

    In “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima” KITAZAWA concluded that finally the Matsushima inspection was proposed, which includes the arguments Kou, Otsu, Hei, and Tei; however, the Matsushima inspection was stopped(遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ).

    Almost all Japanese maps and geographical books of post-1877 and pre-1905 show Japan did not consider Usan=Matsushima=Dokdo as her territory.

    2010/02/04

    ReplyDelete
  54. Good point arare.

    Japanese posters on this forum like to play "smoke and mirrors" with historical records and ignore simple facts.

    Whatever differing opinions the Japanese government may have had about Matsushima, they abided by their age-old principal from the Edo Era the Oki Islands were the Western limit of Japan.

    Ulleungdo was not Matsushima is this record. The whole nature of this record was the research of "Ulleungdo - Takeshima 竹島"

    Truth-of-Dokdo

    The "island shell game" doesn't work on those of us who have studied the Dokdo issue in detail Kaneganese.

    ReplyDelete
  55. arare,

    In 1877, Japanese were not sure if there is neighboring island or one more huge island other than Ulleungdo. That's why Warship Amagi was sent in 1881.

    Besides, Tanabe wrote notes to the no.17 document of Takeshima Kosho as below. (第十七号 公信第三号)

    松島ハ朝鮮ノ鬱陵島ニシテ(Matsushima is Joseon's Ulleungdo)、我版圖中ノモノナラス文化年間旣ニ朝鮮政府ト往復ノ書アリト覺ユ、我ニテ開墾着手スルハ固ヨリアルマシキ事由ヲ答フルコト然ルヘシ、且歸路上陸港等見分スヘキトノ旨ハ如何ナル船ヲ雇ヒ此事ヲ圖ル積ナリヤ、海軍ノ一盤ヲ借ルカ三菱ノ汽船ヲ傭フカ其見込モ迂踈ニ近シ、况ンヤ上海ヘ至リ直賣ノ條約ヲナス如キニ至リテハ未タ出スマテニ至ラサル島ノ立木ヲ何等ノ算方アリテソノ約ヲナス迄ニ見込ノ附ヘキヤ、大切談夢ニ近キモノト被考候、

    後事處分ハ伺ノ趣ニテモ差支アルマシ、但未知平學ノ何人タルヲ、

    右者公信局長田辺太一附ケ札也

    See? Tanabe clearly considered Usan=Japanese Matsushima as Ulleungdo, not today's Takeshima. Besides, Joseon's Usando is not today's Takeshima. Can you show the evidence to prove this? Don't make use of the confusion of Tanabe, but read whole documents.

    ReplyDelete
  56. correction

    Warship Amagi was sent in 1880, not 1881.

    BTW, arare, I really enjoy talking with you. Please don't stop commenting on the blog every Wednesday or Thursday, but hopefully, bring the first-hand evidence, not second hand.

    ReplyDelete
  57. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Kaneganese, Tanabe wrote:

    "It is said that Matsushima (Dokdo) was named by us Japanese, but the truth is, the real name of this island is Usan which is part of (attached to) Ulleungdo of Chosun (Korea). During our 舊정부 (government) era it was proven through an exchange of documents that Ulleungdo belonged to Chosun and we confirmed that Ulleungdo was not Japanese territory, which is stated in both of our countries' historical records...."

    See this record;

    http://www.dokdo-takeshima.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/Usando-songdo-doc.jpg

    Also in this record we see Matsushima is NOT Ulleungdo but Usando.

    When referencing past historical records Tanabe stated:

    “In the middle of the Gangwando Sea stand two islands of which the West One is Usan and the East One is Ulleung..” These are what we Japanese call Matsushima (Dokdo) and Takeshima (Ulleungdo)

    http://www.dokdo-takeshima.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/1881-Japanese-doc.jpg

    Kaneganese you are clogged up in you own pile of unrelated garbage. No matter what confusion existed. Japanese consistently excluded Dokdo from Japanese territory until she expanded her territory during the largest war of the day in 1905.

    http://www.dokdo-takeshima.com/dokdo-takeshima-not-historically-japanese-territory.html

    www.dokdo-takeshima.com/japanese-historical-maps-excluded-dokdo-iii.html

    http://www.dokdo-takeshima.com/japanese-historical-maps-excluded-dokdo-iv.html

    Please don’t mislead the public, Kaneganese..

    And stop childishly talking about off topic subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  59. 田辺太一の言説について、一部のみを取り上げて、しかもなんと司馬遼太郎まで持ち出してくる方がいらっしゃるので、一度ここで整理して自分の考えをまとめたいと思います。御意見いただければ幸いです。何れ、時間を見つけて英文にしたいと思っています。

    『竹島考証』の中の田辺太一の言説

    田辺は『竹島考証』の14号、17号(何れも瀬脇の文)のあとに付箋をつけて意見を述べていることが分かります。その意見とは、「松島ハ朝鮮ノ蔚陵島ニシテ我版圖中ナラス」なので、開発してはいけない、という物でした。彼は他にも、21号で甲乙丙の意見を紹介し、22号で渡邊が巡視を要請した後、23号で再び田辺は「聞ク松島ハ我邦人ノ命セル名ニシテ其實ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ屬スル于山ナリト」と、伝聞調で語っています。(この「属する」という部分をもって于山島が現竹島だと言う人がいますが、これは18世紀以降の朝鮮での于山島=竹嶼と考えれば齟齬はありません。田辺は実際于山島がどこにあるか地図上で示していません。単なる伝聞として述べているだけです。しかも、彼は「斷然松島ヲ開クヘカラス」と、この松島を開発可能な大きな島として語っています。現竹島を想定していないことは確実です。)そして最後に巡視に反対します。

    しかし、その意見の後に北澤の注記があり、田辺の意見は数年後、最終的に反故にされ、渡邊の意見の通り、鬱陵島の巡視が行われ、結果竹島とは竹嶼であり、旧于山島=Argonaut=竹島は、存在しないと結論付けられます。開発不可能な現竹島は、島根県等の情報提供にも関わらず、明治政府は一貫して興味を示しておらず、天城艦もこの島は素通りです。

    ここで、14号と17号の付箋ですが、おそらく、田辺が議論の後に付けたものではないかと思います。彼は伝聞として于山が鬱陵島の属島だと述べますが、結果的に、「松島ハ朝鮮ノ蔚陵島ニシテ我版圖中ナラス」なので、開発してはならないとの意見を二度にわたって述べます。この付箋が北澤の結論の後なのか、前なのか、判然としませんが、何れにせよ、田辺の最終意見は、「松島ハ朝鮮ノ蔚陵島」という、明治政府の共通見解と同じ判断を示したことになります。23号の伝聞を紹介した一文のみを取り上げ、田辺の意見だと歪曲して主張することは、全くの詭弁に他なりません。(ただ、あられさんは別の意味でこのブログに非常に貢献されていらっしゃるので、私はこれからも大歓迎したいと思っています。延々と水掛け論を展開することになりますが、英語で何度もこの件について強調できるのは悪いことではありません。そのうち、渡邊の松島の儀二も投稿したいと思っています。先日報道された島根県の県治要令の件と含めて全体で考えると、田辺の勘違いぶりも明治期の混乱を解き明かす大変重要な文書であることは変わりがありません。)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Kaneganese you are making some serious generalizations about Argonuat Island.

    Your point can be disputed on many Japanese maps of this era.

    Argonaut=鬱陵島-1

    Argonaut=竹島-鬱陵島

    Argonaut=鬱陵島

    Seibold's error was resulted in a minor confusion. However, it did not affect Japan's territorial perceptions to the point they excluded island thought to be Japanese territory.

    あなたには、知る権利があります.

    ReplyDelete
  61. dokdo-takeshima.com様

    Thank you very much. I correct your slight mistake.

    TANABE did not state:“In the middle of the Gangwando Sea stand two islands of which the West One is Usan and the East One is Ulleung..”. It was stated by KITAZAWA Masanari, compiler of “A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima (竹島考證)”, who quoted it from “Geography Book of East Country (東國輿地勝覽)”.

    But I think TANABE also read “東國輿地勝覽” and “History of Koryo (高麗史)”. He was very familiar with Chinese letters books. In his later years it is known that TANABE taught Chinese poetry by Japanese style and literature to SHIMAZAKI Touson (島崎藤村), one of the most famous Japanese novelists and poems.

    As you wrote, TANABE’s opinion that Matsushima was named by us Japanese (松島ハ我邦人ノ命セル名ニシテ), but the truth is, the real name of this island (其実ハ) is Usan which is attached to Iryoutou (Ulleungdo) of Chousen (朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリ), described precisely the situation of Matsushima and Takeshima.

    The sentence that “Matsushima was named by us Japanese” removes Ulleungdo and Jukdo from Matsushima, because Ulleungdo and Jukdo have never been named by us Japanese Matsushima. Ulleungdo has been named by us Japanese Takeshima.

    Kaneganese様

    You wrote: “Tanabe clearly considered Usan=Japanese Matsushima as Ulleungdo, not today's Takeshima”.

    No TANABE did not consider Usan=Japanese Matsushima as Ulleungdo.

    As you showed in “17th document of A Study of Historical Evidence of Takeshima, 3rd Vol. (竹島考證,下巻,第十七号)”, TANABE recognized Matsushima of the petitions for development as Ulleungdo.

    He knew some Japanese planned to develop Ulleungdo imposing the false name Matsushima on it. Thus, TANABE emphasized that real Matsushima is not Ulleungdo but Usan.

    Evidently TANABE stated: Matsushima is not Ulleungdo but Usan, which is part of Korean Ulleungdo.

    Kaneganese様, I also enjoy talking with you in Japanese. I have often interpreted the situation of Matsushima based on TANABE’s opinion. I looked forward to your comment from first-hand evidence. Thank you. Next I will post my response.

    2010/02/16

    ReplyDelete
  62. Kaneganese様

    日本語で話し合えることを私も嬉しく思います。

    『竹島考證』にある田邉太一の意見に関する私の解釈に対し、僅かながらやっと具体的な反論を賜り大変感謝しております。

    Kaneganese様は、「14号と17号の付箋ですが、おそらく、田辺が議論の後に付けたものではないかと思います。」と述べられました。しかし、この付箋は「松島開拓願」が出されて直ぐに付けられたと思います。

    外務省浦潮港貿易事務官瀬脇壽人は、自らの意見とともに、齊藤七郎兵衛が明治9年12月に書いた「松島開島願書并建言」を明治10年4月本省に提出しました。これに対し田辺は「松島ハ朝鮮ノ欝陵島ニシテ我版図中ナラス斉藤某ノ願意ハ許可スルノ権ナキ旨答フベシ」との付箋を付けました。更に瀬脇は同年6月武藤平學の「松島開島之建白」を上申したので、田辺は「松島ハ朝鮮ノ欝陵島ニシテ我版図中ノモノナラス文化年間既ニ朝鮮政府ト往復ノ書アリト覚ユ我ニテ開墾着手スルハ固ヨリアルマシキ事由ヲ答フル事然ルヘシ・・」と、より詳しく書いた付箋を付けております。

    付箋というものの性質上、これらが松島について種々議論した後に付けられたとは思えません。ただし田辺は、「開拓願」の松島は朝鮮の欝陵島と断言していますから、地理に詳しい内務省地理局などに問い合わせたことは十分に考えられます。

    その後、外務省内でも意見を募ったらしく、北澤正誠は「松島ノ事ニ付諸吏ノ見込ヲ陳セシム其書具備セス今記録局坂田諸遠ノ意見書一通」として、明治十年八月六日付の「松島異見」を載せています。

    坂田諸遠「松島異見」は、「松島竹島ノ二島ハ往昔隠岐国ノ管内ニシテ同国福浦ヨリ戌亥ノ方其距離四十里許ニ松島アリ・・」と『隠州視聴合記』他を引用し、「松竹ノ二島アルハ勿論ニテ強チニ松島ハ竹島ノ別号トモ定メ難キ歟」と、上司の渡邉洪基に憚りながらも、松島と竹島は別々の島と結論しました。なお、「松島異見」については面白いことがあり、「ヤフー掲示板竹島 (Nos.15104, 15105, 15107, 15134, 15171, 15178)」も見て下さい。

    一年後の明治11年8月、下村輪八郎と齊藤七郎兵衛が瀬脇へ又「松島開拓願」を提出したので、松島巡島の議論が起り、田辺は「松島巡視要否の議」(第二十壱号)を書きました。田辺は、自分の意見を甲説として紹介した中で、松島について「聞クカ如キハ松島ハ我邦人ノ命セル名ニシテ其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリ」と簡潔に纏めました。

    田辺は、松島に関し、最初に「聞クカ如キハ」即ち問い合わせて聞いたと明示しました。「松島ハ我邦人ノ命セル名ニシテ」から、この松島はSIEBOLDが誤って名付けた欝陵島ではなく、「其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山」であることが分かります。

    Kaneganese様は、「この「属する」という部分をもって于山島が現竹島だと言う人がいますが、これは18世紀以降の朝鮮での于山島=竹嶼と考えれば齟齬はありません。」と書いておられます。しかし、日本人は竹嶼を松島と命名したことはありません。

    田辺が日本人命名の松島を于山に比定したのは、『東國輿地勝覽』『高麗史』や安部恭庵『因幡誌』などの記述からと考えます。

    田辺の松島に関する見解は、開拓願の松島は欝陵島であり本来の松島は于山=現竹島である、と首尾一貫しており、少しの混乱もありません。新政府は田辺の意見を容れ、松島巡視は行われませんでした「遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」。

    ReplyDelete
  63. 仕事が忙しすぎでなかなかこのブログも読みきれないのが残念なわけですが、arareさんにとりあえず一つだけお尋ねしたいことがあります。

    arare said...
    新政府は田辺の意見を容れ、松島巡視は行われませんでした「遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」。

    『竹島考證』には田辺の意見を紹介した記述のすぐ後に「以上、甲乙丙丁ノ議紛紜定ラサルコト如斯ニシテ、巡見ノコトモ其儘止タリシニ、」と書かれています。「紛紜定ラサル」とは誰の見解にも意見が一致せず結論が出なかったと言う意味ですから、「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」てはいないのではないでしょうか?
    arare さんが「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たと判断した根拠は何ですか?



    ところで今回はarareさんのために特別にポエムを作ってきました。ぜひともご堪能下さい。


    『薮太郎賛歌』

    井戸の中のカワズに、海の広さを知らせよう

    土の中のミミズに、空の青さを伝えよう

    暗いと不平を言う前に、電気をつければいいじゃない!

    ReplyDelete
  64. yabutarou様

    私は、“新政府は田辺の意見を容れ、松島巡視は行われませんでした「遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」”と書きました。この引用部分は北澤正誠『竹島考證』の最後の総括からです。

    yabutarou様は、“『竹島考證』には田辺の意見を紹介した記述のすぐ後に「以上、甲乙丙丁ノ議紛紜定ラサルコト如斯ニシテ、巡見ノコトモ其儘止タリシニ、」と書かれています。「紛紜定ラサル」とは誰の見解にも意見が一致せず結論が出なかったと言う意味ですから、「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」てはいないのではないでしょうか?”と述べられました。これは田辺の意見書第二十三号文書の後に書かれたものですが、主旨は総括のものと殆んど同じです。

    yabutarou様はさらに、私が“「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たと判断した根拠は何ですか?”とお尋ねになったので、お答えいたします。

    田辺は、明治10年4月に瀬脇壽人が提出した齊藤七郎兵衛の「松島開島願書并建言」に対し、「松島ハ朝鮮ノ欝陵島ニシテ我版図中ナラス」との付箋を付け、開拓願の松島は朝鮮領欝陵島である、と明確に認識していました。

    明治11年8月瀬脇壽人はまた、下村輪八郎と齊藤七郎兵衛の「松島開拓願」を提出したので、松島巡島の議論が起り、田辺は第二十壱号文書「松島巡視要否の議」を書きました。

    その中で田辺は、甲云として自らの意見を、「蔚陵島ノ朝鮮ニ属スルハ旧政府ノ時一葛藤ヲ生シ文書往復ノ末永ク証テ我有トセサルヲ約シ載テ両国ノ史ニ在リ今故ナク人ヲ遣テコレヲ巡視セシム此ヲ他人ノ宝ヲ數フトイフ況ンヤ跡隣境ヲ侵越スルニ類シ我ト韓トノ交漸ク緒ニ就クトイヘトモ猜嫌猶未全ク除カサルニ際シ如此一挙ヨリシテ再ヒ一隙を開カンコト尤交際家ノ忌ム所ナルベシ」と述べ、巡視に強く反対しました。

    同文書の乙・丙の意見はともに、松島は欝陵島と決まった訳ではないから、それを決めるためにも巡視が必要である、というものでした。

    北澤正誠はさらに「甲乙丙ノ論ニ就キ更ニ評論ヲ下ス者即第廿二号是ナリ丁印第三号是ナリ」として、渡邉洪基と田邉太一の意見書を載せました。

    田辺の意見書(丁第二十三号)は、冒頭に「聞ク松島ハ我邦人ノ命ゼル名ニシテ其実ハ朝鮮蔚陵島ニ属スル于山ナリト」と記し、続けて「蔚陵島ノ朝鮮ニ属スルハ旧政府ノ時一葛藤ヲ生シ(中略)再ヒ一隙を開カンコト尤交際家ノ忌ム所ナルベシ」と、「松島巡視要否の議」の甲と同じことを述べ、さらに続けて「今果シテ聞クノ如クナランニハ断然松島ヲ開クヘカラス」と、ここまでは甲の意見と同じです。

    次に「又松島ノ未タ他邦ノ有ニ属セサルモノタル判然タラス所属曖昧タルモノナレハ(中略)漸ト機會ヲ計リ縦令一小島タリトモ我北門ノ関放擲シ置クベカラサルヲ告ケテ之レヲ開クニシカザランカ故ニ瀬脇氏ノ建言スル所採ル能ハサルナリ」即ち、又松島が所属不明ならば小島でも我国防衛上放置できないから機会を計り朝鮮に告げて開かざるを得ない、故に(すぐ開くべきという)瀬脇氏の建言を採ることはできない、と述べました。

    その後にyabutarou様がお書きになったように、「以上甲乙丙丁ノ議紛紜定ラサルコト如斯ニシテ巡見ノコトモ其儘止タリシニ」とありますから、巡見は中止されたと思います。

    北澤正誠は最後に総括して次のように書きました「於是竹島松島一島両名或ハ別ニ二島アルノ説紛紜決セス遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」。

    『竹島考證』を見る限り、「開拓願」の松島は明確に欝陵島であるとして、松島巡視に反対したのは田辺だけです。従って私は、「其事中止セリ」から、新政府は田辺の意見を容れ、松島巡視を中止したと判断しました。

    2010/02/22

    ReplyDelete
  65. arare さん

    「遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」
    「以上、甲乙丙丁ノ議紛紜定ラサルコト如斯ニシテ、巡見ノコトモ其儘止タリシニ、」
    紛紜=ふんうん・ふんぬん・ [名](スル)物事の入り乱れていること。事がもつれること。また、その乱れ。もめごと。ごたごた。 [ト・タル][文][形動タリ]物事が入り乱れるさま。

    この二文は甲乙丙丁ノ議論があったが結局松島巡島ノ議は中止になったという意味では同じものです。
    異なっている点は後者には中止になった理由は「紛紜定ラサルコト如斯」であると明らかにしているが、前者の文章はこれについて述べられていないということです。
    しかしながら、前者の文も後者の文も同じ人物が同じ時期に書いた文章ですから双方の見解が異なっているはずもなく、前者の文もたとえ明文化されていなかったにしてもやはり中止になった理由は「紛紜定ラ」なかったからと解釈すべきです。
    したがって前者の文に中止になった理由が明文化されていなかったからといって、後者の文にある中止になった理由すなわち「紛紜定ラサルコト如斯」を否定することは残念ながらできません。

    arare さんの書いた文章のうち、「田辺は、明治10年4月に瀬脇壽人が提出した」から「瀬脇氏の建言を採ることはできない、と述べました。」までの文章は「甲乙丙丁ノ議」の起こる前の出来事と「甲乙丙丁ノ議」の真っ最中の出来事についての記述です。
    したがって「甲乙丙丁ノ議」の結果「誰の見解にも意見が一致せず結論が出なかった」のか、あるいは「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たのかについての判断材料にはなりえません。

    松島巡視に反対したのは田辺だけなのは事実ですが、「誰の見解にも意見が一致せず結論が出なかった」のであれば「其事中止」したからといって、「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たとは判断できません。

    ひょっとしてarare さんは「紛紜定ラサルコト如斯」と書いてあるのに気が付かなかったために「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たと勘違いしてしてしまわれただけなのではないでしょうか。
    以前も書きましたがどんなに優秀な学者先生でも必要な情報を入手できなければ陸に上がった河童も同然です。「弘法も筆の誤り」と言いますが、私もこの手の間違いはしょっちゅうやらかします。
    もしarare さんがこれから先もネットに文章を書いて影響力を行使したいと願うのであれば、ここは一つ論説を転換して「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」なかったことをお認めになってはいかがでしょうか。さもなければarare さんだけでなく韓国側に立つすべての論者にインチキ野郎のレッテルが貼られてしまうかもしれませんよ。

    歴史的事実は私とarare さんの感情の外側に成り立っています。したがって個人的感情と日本あるいは韓国の国益と客観的な歴史的事実とはそれぞれ分けて考えるべきです。そうしなければ自分の心が傷つくだけでなく不用意に他人の心も傷つけることになりかねません。
    嘘を事実であると証明するのは事実を事実であると証明するよりもはるかに難しいのはいうまでもありません。したがってarare さんが「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」たことを証明できなかったからといってarare さんの能力に問題があるとは私は思いません。
    以前も書いたことがありますがarare さんはもっと自分の知性と教養と情熱をを世の中の役に立つことに活用することができるのではないでしょうか。このようなことで無駄に消耗してしてしまうのは大変惜しいことであると私は考えます。

    ReplyDelete
  66. yabutarou様

    コメントに感謝します。然しながら、ひょっとしてyabutarou様は「於是竹島松島一島両名或ハ別ニ二島アルノ説紛紜決セス遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ雖然其事中止セリ」と書いてあるのに気が付かなかったために「新政府は田辺の意見を容れ」なかったと勘違いしてしまわれたのではないでしょうか。

    yabutarou様は、「以上、甲乙丙丁ノ議紛紜定ラサルコト如斯ニシテ、巡見ノコトモ其儘止タリシニ、」から、松島巡視が中止になった理由は、甲乙丙丁の議が「紛紜定ラ」なかったからと解釈されました。これも一つの理由でしょうが、そればかりではありません。

    北澤正誠『竹島考證』の最後の総括には、「竹島松島一島両名或ハ別ニ二島アルノ説紛紜決セス」即ち、竹島松島は一島で二つの名があるのか、或は、竹島と松島という名の二つの島があるのか、「紛紜決セス」混乱して決めることが出来なかった。その結果、「遂ニ松島巡島ノ議起ル甲乙丙丁ノ説ノ如シ」遂に甲乙丙丁の説のような松島巡島の議が起った、とあります。

    「竹島松島一島両名或ハ別ニ二島アルノ説」が「紛紜定ラ」なかった事によって、松島についてもっと詳しく調べようと松島巡島の議が起った訳です。「雖然其事中止セリ」しかし松島巡島は中止された、と北澤正誠は書いています。

    松島巡島の議が起きたので、公信局長であった田辺は「松島巡視要否の議」を取りまとめ、自らの意見である甲説と乙・丙の説を紹介しました。

    乙の意見は「開否ノ略ハ視察ノ後ニ非サレハ定ムル能ハス・・西南勦定ノ後海軍モ無事閑暇ノ時アルベケレハ其時ニ至リ測量製図等ニ熟セル海軍士官ト生産開物ニ明カナル官吏トヲ派差シテコレヲ検セシメ而後コレヲ書図ニ徴シ古文書ニ照シテ初メテ松島ノ蔚陵島ノ一部ナリヤ果テ于山ナリヤ又別ニ一ノ無主地ナリヤヲモ定淂ヘク・・松島必巡視セサルベカラサルナリ・・」、丙は「・・聊ニテモ該島ノ現状ヲ知ル事ヲ急務トセリ故ニ誰ニテモ其地ヲ巡視スヘキノ望アルモノ何船ニテモ其近傍ヲ航シ甘ンシ寄椗セントイフモノアレハコレヲ許可シコレヲ雇フヲ可ナリ・・我邦人外国ノ船ニ搭シ韓地ニ至リシトテ韓政府ノ猜嫌ヲ増サントノ過慮ハナキニアラズトイヘトモ該島ニ在ル韓民(縦令官吏アルモ)邦人ト外国人トヲ区別スルノ眼晴モアルマジケレバ断然交隣ノ誼ニ於テハ妨碍ヲ生セサラン亊ヲ信ス」と述べ、何れも巡視が必要である、というものでした。

    これに反し田辺は、「開拓願」の松島は朝鮮領の欝陵島と確信していましたから、甲云うとして「蔚陵島ノ朝鮮ニ属スルハ旧政府ノ時一葛藤ヲ生シ文書往復ノ末永ク証テ我有トセサルヲ約シ載テ両国ノ史ニ在リ今故ナク人ヲ遣テコレヲ巡視セシム此ヲ他人ノ宝ヲ數フトイフ況ンヤ跡隣境ヲ侵越スルニ類シ我ト韓トノ交漸ク緒ニ就クトイヘトモ猜嫌猶未全ク除カサルニ際シ如此一挙ヨリシテ再ヒ一隙を開カンコト尤交際家ノ忌ム所ナルベシ(中略)現今ノ務方ニ国脉ヲ静養スルニアリ鮮ヲ煎テコレヲ擾ス計ノ淂ルモノナラス松島断シテ開ク能ワス又開クベカラス其不能不可ヲ知テコレヲ巡視スル豈無益ナラサランヤ況ヤ後害ヲ醸サントスルオヤ」と、松島巡視に強く反対しました。

    さらに田辺は丁第二十三号文書の中で、もし松島が所属不明ならば、「漸ト機會ヲ計リ縦令一小島タリトモ我北門ノ関放擲シ置クベカラサルヲ告ケテ之レヲ開クニシカザランカ故ニ瀬脇氏ノ建言スル所採ル能ハサルナリ」即ち、ゆっくりと機会を計り、たとえ小島といえども我が北門の関として放置できないことを、(朝鮮に)告げて開かざるを得ないが故に(すぐ開くべきという)瀬脇氏の建言を採ることはできない、と書きました。

    朝鮮領欝陵島を無断で巡視すべきでないという、田辺の意見は全くの正論です。従って新政府は、田辺の意見を容れ、違法な松島巡視を中止したのは当然でしょう。

    2010/02/28

    ReplyDelete