竹島問題の歴史

23.9.12

1882 - Lee Gyu-won's Survey Map of "Outer Ulleungdo (鬱陵島外圖 - 울릉도외도)

Mr. Tanaka Kunitaka has posted a great copy of Ulleungdo Inspector Lee Gyu-won's (李奎遠) 1882 survey map of Ulleungdo entitled "Outer Ulleungdo" (鬱陵島外圖 - 울릉도외도), which shows Ulleungdo's neighboring islands,  rocky islets, and shoreline. Inspector Lee also made a separate map of "Inner Ulleungdo" (鬱陵島內圖 - 울릉도내도), which shows an interior valley labeled "Nari-dong" (羅里洞 - 나리동), also called Guk-dong (國洞 - 국동), and 14 surrounding moutain peaks that jut outward on the map, which caused some to describe the island as being pot-shaped.

Inspector Lee left on his 1882 mission expecting to find Ulleungdo with one neighboring island called "Songjukdo" (松竹島 - 송죽도), which he had heard was 1.2 to 4 km offshore. Instead, he found two neighboring islands, one named "Jukdo" (竹島 - 죽도) and the othere named "Dohang" (島項 - 도항).

Just prior to the 1882 mission both King Kojong and Inspector Lee said HERE that "Songjukdo" (松竹島 was sometimes called "Songdo" (松島 - 송도) and sometimes called "Jukdo" (竹島 - 죽도), so apparently the name "Jukdo" was being used by visitors to the island at the time. In 1870, a Japanese mission to Korea reported HERE that they had heard that Ulleungdo had a neighboring island called "Matsushima" (松島), which is the Japanese pronunciation for "Songdo." Today, Ulleungdo's neighboring island of "Jukdo" is just 2 km off Ulleungdo's east shore.

King Kojong had also asked Inspector Lee to search for a neighboring island named "Usando" (于山島 - 우산도), but Inspector Lee was unable to find an island by that name. The reason was that Usando was just another name for Ulleungdo's neighboring island of Jukdo, which Ulleungdo Inspector Bak Seok-chang labeled as "Usando" on his 1711 survey map of Ulleungdo HERE.

If you look closely at the "Outer Ulleungdo" map, you should see a faint red line that probably traced the trails taken by Lee Gyu-won as he explored the island. They show that he either entered or existed the island at four different places: "Japanese Boat Dock" (倭船艙) on the northeast, ,  "Dobang-cheong" (道方廳) on the southeast,  "Tong-gumi" (桶邱尾) on the southwest, and "Daehwangto-gumi" (大黃土邱尾) on the northwest. The "Inner Ulleungdo" map also shows a red line.

"Outer Ulleungdo" (鬱陵島外圖)


 
 
Inner Ulleungdo (鬱陵島內圖)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment